Sunday, July 10, 2011

Don't remember when, it was a few or maybe a couple months ago.  When I was flipping channels, I got to the local CW affiliate on Channel 23.  Actually, 23-1.

Absentmindedly, I hit the "channel up" button on my remote.  I thought I was going to get Channel 29, the weird-as-fuck "my" channel that appears to be the redheaded stepchild of the FOX network.  But I didn't get 29-1.

Instead, I got 23-2.  And, if I recall correctly, what I saw was the video for Rhianna's "Only Girl (In The World)."  And I'm all, What the fuck is this?  Not the song, which is awesome, IMO.  I'm talking about this channel I apparently stumbled upon.

So I kept watching.  It's something called, and this name really sucks, THECOOLTV.  They play music videos, just like MTV did before it whored itself out to reality shows to the point where they now show no music videos.  I've seen old videos, videos from new songs I like, and many videos that I don't like.  But that's all they play: videos (and, well, the occasional infomercial, but that's OK).  It's nothing more than that, but it's nothing less, and when there's nothing on TV, I can flip to that channel and see if there's something I want to watch.  Sometimes there isn't, but sometimes there is.

Also, oftentimes I switched to THECOOLTV during a commercial break and I get sucked into watching a video for a song I like that I haven't seen before, or I'm taken back to a video I remember from a long time ago.  That happens for most of the songs from the grunge nineties.  In fact, there's an hour-long block of just alternative music on Tuesday nights called "Nineties Nectar."  And even though they have a fairly long block of commercials after every two or three videos, which is annoying, for that hour I was mesmerized by all the songs whose videos they showed.  I think I remember them; here is the setlist:
  1. The Wallflowers, "One Headlight"
  2. Belly, "Slow Dog"
  3. Nirvana, "Come As You Are"
  4. Radiohead, "Karma Police"
  5. Alice In Chains, "No Excuses"
  6. Spin Doctors, "Two Princes"
  7. Red Hot Chili Peppers, "My Friends"
  8. Counting Crows, "Mr. Jones"
Takes me back to the days where I was a college student, and I professed to everybody around me that those days were the beginning of the end for me.  My God, I was such a dreamer then.

If you miss music videos, find your local THECOOLTV station.  Here in the Twin Cities we also have The Country Network which plays only, yes, country videos.  I hate country, yet I find myself watching it from time to time.  I'm not saying I'm warming to the genre.  I flip to it mostly to see if they're showing a video when THECOOLTV is showing a commercial.  It seems to happen a lot, which leads me to believe that there are more ads on THECOOLTV than on The Country Network.

No comments:

Post a Comment