Monday, August 13, 2012

How In The Fuck Did I Charge $950 Dollars Last Month?!?!?!

I am perpetually afraid of looking at my credit card statement online, but eventually I have to face the music and pay it or else I'll get dinged on my credit score and the card company will jack up my interest rates.

I was hoping last month's bill would be small.  I didn't work, so I knew I had to cut back on stuff, so I tried to not go anywhere.  Little matter: I somehow charged a fucking grand onto my card.

Worst of all, I tried to cut out what I considered "superfluous discretionary costs," things I went out of my way to charge just because.  I know myself, and try as I might, I will occasionally charge something for coffee, or the run to Hooters.  There aren't a whole lot of those "superfluous discretionary costs," and knocking those off knocked the statement to only $650.

That means that, whatever I could have done, I would have still charged $650 onto my credit card for the month.  Of course that's a fucking lot more than I make, especially now that I'm unemployed.  How in the fuck does that happen?

I can't do anything else but continue to tighten the belt.  Don't drive around so much; maybe then I only need to fill up every two weeks instead of one.  Don't go off for coffee so much.  And put off things like a new battery for my laptop, or new prescription sunglasses that I've been wanting, or industrial, steel-toed Doc Martens that I can slip my orthopedic soles into.

Unfortunately, a huge "superfluous discretionary cost" is coming: Paying for hotel and car rental for my trip to St. Louis late next month.  Honestly, money is so tight right now I'm thinking of either postponing or outright canceling the trip.  I just don't have the cash to spend right now.

Fuck my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment