Wednesday, February 13, 2013

I Got A Job?!

So I'm just innocently calling the temp agency because, let's be honest, I need the money.  But I didn't think anything of it.  I'm calling basically because I want to let them know I'm still alive and I care about employment.

So I give the girl my name and she just says, "OK, thank you, we don't have any jobs right now, but if anything comes up, we'll let you know."  Wait a second ... no, she didn't say that!  She actually said, "There's a job for you!"

Holy shit, really?!?!?!  When the fuck did calling in ever get me a job?

But I did.  And unfortunately it's not data entry, like I wanted.  "It's a customer service job," she continued, "And it's going to be downtown," so I'll have to pay money to park to go to work.  My first thought to myself was, "Shit, I have to fucking talk to people?  I thought I told these guys that's not what I want.  And I'll have to pay for parking, too?  Fuck that, I'd rather stay jobless."

But then I remembered: Continuing to receive unemployment is contingent on not refusing work.  Shit.  I had no choice but to say yes.  This is a shitty job where I would have to get yelled at by strangers, and I have to take it or else I will have no income.  Welcome to The Real America, ladies and gentlemen.

I will try and be positive, however.  There is a script, so all I'll have to do is recite the words in front of me -- brainless work is what I do best!  Also, there are some test dates coming up, and if they are in conflict with this job, I'll take the tests instead.  At least that's a job I'm good at and I like.

There are two problems with taking this job instead, however.  The place where we score tests is a lot farther away than downtown, and even though it's the suburbs and therefore it's free, does the gas I spend going out there substitute for parking fees?  And the job pays a bit more than the testing position, plus it's going to be five weeks compared to who-knows-how-long-it'll-be for the tests.  Shit, I love scoring tests, but ... wouldn't it be better to take this job anyway?

And how about my trip to Detroit?  I want to go to Detroit, but that'll be right in the middle of this assignment.  But I won't be able to even afford to go if I don't have money, which I'll get working this job.

Goddamn, this is so fucking complicated now.  I just wanted to make a fucking call, for God's sake. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment