Saturday, March 2, 2013

Uh-Oh, Got Caught?

I was going to my car to go to "work," because again, my parents are not leaving early.

However, they did leave to their car at the same time as I did, the first time that has happened in a long time. I had just started my engine when My Father came out and waved to me: "Are you going to work?"

"Yes," I replied, to which he replied, "Well, go to work then."  Well, no shit.

And then he started the car.  And while I backed out of the driveway I saw Mother close the front door.  Which suddenly made me think I was screwed.  I'm not sure what "work" they think I'm going to, but some of the places that I would go -- the radio station, for one -- would mean I'd drive the same way my parents do to get to The Store (assuming they are going there; for God's sake I don't even know if they still have it).  I do that every weekday because I think they assume I'm going to the flu billing place I was let go from, even if I eventually have to turn my car around (down the street, well away from the view of my folk), because I need to fool them.  But today, they could be on my tail as I drive off, and if they see me go somewhere they don't expect, that could raise a lot of questions that I won't be able to answer.  Oh, shit, this is a problem.

I thought all of this as I started driving away, so I kind of gunned my car faster down the street.  I didn't see the minivan back down the driveway, so I decided to take a risk and hang a left instead of a right, which is what I meant to do to where I planned on going, the library next to the gym I work out in.  That raises its own problems.  They could assume that I just drove down the highway fast enough that they couldn't catch up; in that case it would help if they took their time backing down the driveway and getting to the highway.  But what if they expected to see me along the highway?  They might get suspicious and believe I peeled off somewhere else, and they would think I was lying, particularly lying about going to work.

I had to follow a left with another left, but I didn't reach the light.  While I was stopped I looked at my rear view mirror to see if I could see the minivan, and if so, I wondered if they could see me.  I didn't see them, but then again, I'm not sure.

Maybe I should've left sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment