Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Perfect Time Of Year To Sleep In My Car

These are the days I have to remember are good for the times I need to sleep in my car.  Times like now, when I have a job and don't get enough sleep at night.

I remember last year, when I was a test scorer and we were released on breaks and lunch.  I would go to my car to rest my eyes and hopefully fall asleep.  But last year my projects were in the middle of the summer, and even though I put rolled the windows down, it was too fucking hot for me to go unconscious.

Not so here, at least not now.  I have actually been sleeping in my car, comfortably, for about a month now. The sun is intense enough to warm the car to a temperature I feel good in, yet neither the sun nor the ambient temp outside is so hot that I cook.  So I've actually been able to rest in my car a lot -- at the theater, maybe a couple of times at the U., and for most of the past few days at the test scorer job (though not today, I'm not sure 'cause I don't remember).  The sun angle can be a problem; on my morning break the sun is still relatively low on the horizon and it goes through the passenger side of the car and thus my head.  But for lunch it's mostly behind me, and so I can pass out without feeling any distraction, which is awesome.

This will change, with the weather finally warming up, I think it will soon.  I soon must roll down the window because it'll just be too hot inside, and that will allow outside noise.  Plus I'll have to deal with the changing angles of the sun, not just through the day but through the days as the assignment rolls by.  And then, come Tax Day, I start my other test job position at a brand new place.  If I could get shade during the hottest part of the day there, that'd be perfect.  But if not, catching up on rest during the day might be a huge challenge.

It is rare that I get to actually fall asleep in my car even though I regularly try to do it.  I don't think I was able to rest in my car during my flu billing job once, maybe because it was too cold outside.  So I must relish, indulge and appreciate these days now, before sleeping in my car becomes impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment