Friday, March 29, 2013

I Think I'm Going To Lose My Job

This is the first time I have had to evaluate writing tests, and honestly it's driving me crazy.  There are several categories in which I have to grade these kids' papers.  My problem is that, to me, these categories are impossible to separate.  If I have to grade on what the kid is saying and then how good he says it, wouldn't it figure that what the kid says influences how good he says it, and vice versa?  And I also have to analyze each paper on its technicalities, and I say that also affects what is said and how it is said.

I have a supervisor.  He's a really great guy, really smart, very professional, really on-the-ball.  I like that in an authority figure in this capacity.  However, I have received many papers from him where he disagrees with the score I gave.  Now, I have been at this job for three seasons now and for every project I've worked on I have received the occasional regraded paper.  But not with the frequency, nor the unclear revisions, as I've had with these.  I guess it comes with the territory of evaluating a writing test for the first time, but I honestly am just as lost as to how to grade these papers as I was when I first started last week.  When I think I finally get a read on it and "grade it like everybody else is," here come more papers saying that I should do this instead.  Now I'm reduced to just measuring how long the kid wrote and grading it that way.  Let's see if more papers come tomorrow.

I really don't think this reflects well on myself.  If I don't stop or at least slow down these papers, I think my supervisor is going to recommend I not be assigned to more writing projects.  And I have to look at my predicament then glass-half-empty.  I was on math projects, but I've been put on this.  Why was I taken off of any math projects?  Was the company not happy with my performance with them?  Geez, if it wasn't happy with me then and if they won't be happy with me now ... well, that's it, I'm gone.  Fuck my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment