Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Oh, I Do Not Like Your Tone

Yesterday I made my most serious step yet in going back to school: I responded to the customer service people (for lack of a better term) at the department for advice on how best to proceed with taking classes.  To which the advisor replied: "There is no way for me to know what classes you need to take without me talking to you."

Oh, no.  No-no-no-no-no.  Do not talk to me like that.  I don't care if I'm taking this the wrong way because she typed it in an e-mail, and maybe, possibly it wouldn't come off as mean and judgmental if I were actually speaking to you.  I do not like your tone.  You could have said this much better, such as, "I would not feel comfortable advising on you on how to proceed unless I speak to you first.  Can we arrange a meeting?"  But I didn't get that; I get some antisocial prick.

And this raises a huge problem.  I probably need her help getting into school -- or do I?  I'll have to check.  Anyway, this person holds a powerful, if not total, place in the department I want to go back to school in.  She may even be a checkpoint, as in I may not be admitted into the program without her help.  And I know that as soon as I interview her she's going to ask questions I can't answer, questions about my "ambition" and "dedication."  Look, I want to get a high-paying job with no stress; that's all I want.  But she's not going to like that as she peppers me with her question-bombing.  And so after the interview she's going to say something to the effect of, "I don't think you're right for this program."  To which I'll basically say, "There is no way for me to respond to that other than telling you that you can go fuck yourself."

I'm at that point now.  What I mean by that is, I feel this motivation to automatically enroll in a class that is required under this program's degree requirements because, in my opinion, she has disrespected me, just for asking a simple question.  I want to take a class just to spite her.  It's funny, and a little sad, that I'm most motivated to do things when someone basically tells me no.  Guess I'm wired that way.  But that's how I feel.  I can do things when I'm pissed off.

But will I do it?  I have a week before work starts up again, and I haven't even enrolled yet.  Should get on it.  But will I do it?  Or will I accept this advisor's pronouncement as an excuse to be lazy?

No comments:

Post a Comment