Thursday, June 4, 2015

The Weekly Minnesota Sports Survey

#-1: Twins (Last Week: Positive Numbers).  Well, last week I was afraid that a correction was going to come.  I don't think this week was the correction.  But going 3-3 seems to be a cool-off.

On a whim my friend asked if we could go to the Twinks game Sunday afternoon against Toronto.  It was good to see him besides our annual dinner, and my parents were away, so yeah, I'd much rather do that than go through my papers.  No matter that Ricky Nolasco was pitching against some youngster I never heard of named Hutchison who will probably shut down the Twins in a laugher.  And although he had won his last five decisions, I still harken back to the injured bust Nolasco was last year.  My friend said that if he chokes on the mound he's running out on the field to choke him.  He didn't have time to even do warm-up stretches; Nolasco's ankle flared up and he was gone in the second inning.

I certainly thought that spelled doom for the home team.  And they fell behind the Blue Jays 4-1 at one point.  But they battled back.  First, Trevor Plouffe tied it at 4 with a two-run home run to left field.  Then after Josh Donaldson cranked one to the flower bed in right, The Ageless Wonder, Torii Hunter, doubled to left (and made Left Fielder and former Twin Chris Colabello look like a fool as he jumped up to try to catch the ball before it smacked off the wall; he didn't have a good day defensively, which kind of showed why he is no longer with Minnesota) scoring the tying and game-winning runs in a very entertaining 6-5 win.  And it was even sweeter when, after I came home, a friend of mine through Facebook showed that, by percentage points over Kansas City, the Minnesota Twins held the best record not in the American League Central, but the entire American League.

Key word being "held."  I'm pretty sure that after winning two-of-three vs. Toronto and so far dropping two-of-three in Boston they are no longer tops in the A.L.  Oh, hell, I'll just check ... yep, as of press time, the Twins are not in first.  They are not second either.  They are in third place in the AmerLeague, behind the second-place Royals and first-place Houston.  But those three have pulled away from the other teams in the rest of the junior circuit.

They wrap up the four-game series against the Red Sox before coming back to Target Field for the rest of the week: A trio against Milwaukee followed by a big early-season test: Three games against the division-leading Kansas City Royals.

No comments:

Post a Comment