Saturday, April 16, 2016

I Think I Got Fucked By My Taxes

OK, I'm kind of in an furious buzz right now due to two, uh, oversights that I just found while hurriedly finishing my taxes today in order to go to the airport post office and file them tomorrow so I could avoid waiting in line and paying money Monday.

First off, I really thought I was getting a refund, a big refund, this year.  But when I redid my calculations I realized that I wrote down the wrong amount of income I made in 2015 -- by six grand.  I know that I saw on the computer calculator an "8," yet I put down "2" on the paper.  That swung the refund through the federal from about $500 into a payment of about $300, and the state from a refund of $165 to a payment of about $135.

But what has really gotten me pissed off is something I didn't see until reading through the payment section in the state tax packet.  The federal deadline to pay taxes is Monday the 18th, not the 15th, because it's a federal holiday.  Well, since I do both my federal and state taxes at the same time, I assumed that the Minnesota taxes were also due on Monday.  But while I was looking through instructions on how to pay, I see that the deadline to file taxes is listed as Friday, April 15.  If that's the case, I am technically late on my state taxes, and therefore I will have to pay a penalty on top of what I owe to the state of Minnesota.

Oh my God, this is fucking pissing me the fuck off.  Why in the hell would taxes for the state and the federal be days apart?  Why can't the goddamn state just say their taxes are due Monday?  This is the last and worst of this really fucked-up way the state is doing taxes.   They have followed the federal government in not sending out paper forms.  They apparently are not supplying paper copies in libraries.  Instead, you now have to print them out or make copies -- on your dime.  Moreover, the state has now printed out only one copy of each form instead of two.  I relied on both copies; one was a rough draft so I could fix all my mistakes, and from that rough first copy I could make the second one my clean and definitive one.  Now I can't; now I have to -- you guessed it -- print a copy.  (The online copy sucks, too; there are no boxes for the digits, so I just fucking wrote the numbers all over the place.  I don't know where those goddamn numbers go!)

And now this extra penalty for assuming that I could file my state and federal taxes on the same day.  I have already been surprised by realizing I need to pay because of a fucking stupid copy error (I surprised myself admittedly).  And now, not only do I have money sucked out of my wallet, Minnesota is going to suck more money out of my wallet?  Fuck you!  Seriously, fuck you!

No comments:

Post a Comment