Wednesday, April 13, 2016

My Friend Is So Distressed

Alright, I am worried now.  I have a friend, a stripper friend but who I consider a true friend, whose mother is sick.  Unfortunately, she is also a stripper, with the attendant stereotype of a being a disaster, especially after drinking alcohol.  She hosts house parties and I have often seen her stumbling drunk, unable to hold a word much less a conversation, and her dances are awful.  Sober she's nice; in fact, she's quite engaging, an intellect befitting her two college degrees.  But once something happens and she feels the need to hit the bottle, hoo boy.

That seems to be the case these days, because a few days ago she basically turned her Facebook status into a cry for help -- like, she wanted someone to call her immediately.  I did, and for the next half-hour, on a Friday night but where I had to work at the old test scorer place in the morning, I had to hear her babble and pity herself and cry over her mom being sick.  I don't mean to belittle her as I am describing how she sounded over the phone.  It's absolutely terrible what's going on with her mom.  But it sounds as though after she got the news that her mom was sick, the first thing she did was drink.  And self-destruction isn't going to help the situation, let alone her mother.  Anyway, I listened to her and she let me go.

Fast forward to just now.  "Someone call me now!" is her new Facebook status.  I have tried reaching out to her by both phone and text, but this time I'm not getting an answer.  I am now worried.  Did her mom's health take a turn for the worse?  Is she fully in the damn bag now?

See, I don't want to completely detach from her and minimize what she's going through.  But if she won't at least let me listen to her, I have no choice but to go to bed, because I'm way past my bedtime now.  I don't know what to do because any choice I make seems to be not enough.  So I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment