Sunday, April 3, 2016

A Day Of Quiet Desperation

So there is this special, I guess, "tasting" at a craft pop place very close to home.  This store has had some publicity, and it was nice to see people who probably caught wind of this special sampling on Facebook come to a store in a very small strip mall and flood the place.

My friend from elementary school said she was taking her family here.  I thought it would be a good idea to see her because I haven't seen her in some time.  Also, she grew up in this area, so not only would it be nice to see her, it would be nice to see her where we grew up.  Finally, it's nice every day I can visit her so conveniently.

But I didn't know when she was bringing the family over.  I texted her.  She was there, around 10 this morning.  I thought about going around 11 because I could buy a soda pop and pair it with the food truck they have outside the store.  I could have left immediately to see her, but I decided to loll around my bed a little more and then do something in the backyard, and I still wanted to go out there for lunch and not before.

So of course when it was close to 11 and I got into the car, she texted back saying she was leaving.  Dammit.  I wanted to just vent to her about my situation.  I know she would listen.  Well, maybe she would listen, maybe she wouldn't have time to.  At any rate it would have been nice to drive just ten minutes to see her.  But that opportunity is lost.

---

I have nothing very important to do today, and yet I feel so damn anxious.  An open day sometimes feels like minute after minute of blown opportunity.  I say that because there is just so many things I could do and I know I will procrastinate and not do it.  Meanwhile there are a lot of things that are coming down the pike soon, and even though there's nothing I can do about it, that helplessness is just freaking me out.

On top of that there are a lot of events today -- marks in time that bring people together, except that I can't join in because I'm busy procrastinating on things I say I have to do.  For example, the legendary Polish restaurant and piano bar Nye's is closing today.  Mother and I went (and waited 90 minutes) to eat there.  It was only the third time we've ever eaten at that legendary spot and the first time in at least two decades.  But I feel like I need to go over there just one last time, if only to pay my respects.  Also, an acquaintance from the alumni club invited me to his place for a show & tell, but it was so far that I decided I needed to stick closer to home.  Oh, and I couldn't go to this barbecue at another acquaintance's house because it too was too far (although I was at the NCAA Women's Gymnastics Meet Regional yesterday afternoon).  I know that I should be more sociable and less boring, but then I see myself continue to say no.  This sucks.

And then this week I'm going to break the news to work that I'm leaving.  I still think it's the right decision, but I'm getting more and more anxious that the new job I'm going to will be shorter in length.  Therefore, I'll be just screwing myself out of money because of this.  I ... just don't know.

It's a sunny day and I'm not dead.  Why do I feel so damn depressed?

---

To look on the bright side, there is this play from my former co-worker that I'm going to tonight.  Also, I'll try and help Mother patch up this hole that this bird is drilling into the side of the house.  And I went to this pop tasting anyway, and it really was nice to see all these people and families smile and have fun and indulge in a nostalgia that most of us really didn't experience when we were young.  It's the little things, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment