Friday, January 20, 2017

It Is Mourning In America

Well, shit, it's happening.  Donald Trump will be installed -- with the help of Russian hacking, voter suppression, sexism, racism and four decades of greedy, selfish intransigence by asshole Republicans, the true scum of the earth -- as the next President Of The United States today (Friday).  And those factors also allowed those same asshole Republicans to control the House, the Senate, the Supreme Court, many governorships and the vast majority of the country's state houses.

I'm kind of numb over this Republican cancer that is about to spread all over the country.  And even though I can't overtly say it's changed me, it has changed me, in subtle ways.  For one thing, I can't watch or listen to the news anymore.  I used to listen to National Public Radio all the time while driving.  But after Election Day, ugh, I started listening to The Current more.  It's not like I feel betrayed by NPR; like I've said, The Media has largely done its job.  I just didn't want to hear any news from that ass clown Trump, and I still don't.  And whenever I come home early enough to catch the national news, if the anchors introduce a piece about that piece of shit, I immediately change the channel, no matter what my parents want.  I think I will feel that way for a long, long time.

Yes, I am scared about what is going to happen next.  Once again, we correct-minded people should not be scared just of Trump, but also the people he putatively agrees with as a political party.  They control all the levers of power now, and unless Trump decides to be a real loose cannon and turn on his fellow Republicans -- and if he can then marshal his populism against the machinery he used and then took over -- people with true hate in their hearts are going to be running this country, and running it into the ground.  Already Republicans and Trump are about to cut massive amounts of the national budget.  The cruelty behind that move sickens me.

---

I remember eight years ago, back in 2009, when Barack Obama was going to be sworn in.  When he was elected President, I texted congratulations to the only black friend I had at the time.

I also remember being home the afternoon of January 20, knowing that I will indeed be witnessing history.  I was home and not getting hounded by my parents, who still had The Store at the time, because my "job" was taking care of Grandmother.

We were out in the living room.  I had the TV on; Grandmother was reading or something.  I wanted to watch it out there with her because I thought she would want to see this too.

Meanwhile I had my computer turned on.  Slate told me that they were going to follow the Inauguration in real time with this new ... er, function I had heard a little about at the time: Twitter.  I didn't know how I would use it for myself, but I thought Slate did a fantastic job with it.

I also remember Chief Justice John Roberts screwing up the oath.  I knew even then that people would want to luxuriate in that entire oath, the Chief Justice stating and the first black President Of The United States repeating, but that couldn't happen since Roberts effed it up.  I also remember the pastor at the Inauguration invoking a prayer that was awesome.

Things were much simpler back then.  Better, too.

---

I'm dressing in a black suit for work.  There's a funeral today, after all, and I have to dress up.

This guy saw me dressed all dapper and asked if I had an interview.  That's the lie I'm making up for my parents in case they see me dressed in this.  I really wanted to say that I'm all in black because America dies today, but I didn't want him to think less of me, so I stammered out some BS about just wanting to be weird and be the opposite of Casual Friday, which is not in effect at work right now because we're being allowed to dress casually every day through February.  And when I had my daily morning meeting with a bunch of guys I have decided are Republican, I made up another lie about wanting to see if this dress shirt and suit still fit me.  (It does, by the way, although I have to suck my gut in.)  Wish I could tell the truth about why I'm dressed like this, but you guys know.

#TheResistance

No comments:

Post a Comment