Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Going Back To School, For Real ...

Well, I'm doing it ... maybe: I had a lot of time at work yesterday (Monday) and, considering the shit that came out of my boss' mouth last week, it was time to take the plunge and go back to school.  Timing couldn't be better, or, actually, it could be a lot better: With yesterday (Monday) being MLK Day, classes for Spring Semester start ... um, today.

My sudden impetus to finally do this came from a combination of things, which I stated above.  That doesn't necessarily mean I have done my research.  From from it, in fact.  I think I'll be doing actuarial classes, and so I need to find a class -- just one class -- I could dip my toe in.  I prefer to do it online, but from past research I came to the conclusion that narrows my choices by a lot, so yesterday (Monday) I started moving things around in order to actually go to a class in the evening.

I think I found one -- computer science.  But there is a lab as well as a lecture, and that means I need to go to the U. two evenings per week.  And then, after digging around some more, I realized that compu sci class has a prerequisite -- calculus.  Oy, back to needing to learn calculus again.  Christ.

Oh, well, there is microeconomics.  I took that in high school and I got a fantastic AP score from it as well, so I really don't think I need to take this class again.  But there's probably no way that that AP score gets me exempted from this class seeing as it was 20+ years ago, plus there is no other beginner's class I could get in.  Hey, at least there's a chance I can take it online.

But I just tried signing up and I couldn't.  Maybe that's for the best; there's an ice storm that's supposed to snarl up traffic in the morning.  Maybe I'll be late for work, which means I'll have to stay late in the evening, which means I'll miss all the start times for evening classes at the U.  Hmmm ... maybe I won't be able to go back to school this semester after all.  Shucky darn!

No comments:

Post a Comment