Thursday, January 19, 2017

Committed To Spending $25.55

My cafeteria has punch cards, both electronic and paper, for certain food items -- you know, buy nine of these, get a tenth free.  There are deals for both hot cereal/oatmeal and hot drinks that I have a free one for.  I think both deals last through the end of the month, and that's when I'm going to take advantage of them.

However there was a snag.  I used the electronic cards for both.  One day not too long ago, I wanted to buy a mocha from the commissary, but as I was trying to bring up the app on my phone, it froze, and it continually froze.  The barista was busy making drinks and I had to go back up to my cube, so eventually she just gave me a punch card and punched a hole in it.

I remembered that card this morning.  I somehow got a second punch on it, but I was going to throw it away.  But I got to thinking, I'm afraid.  I'll get into more detail soon, I hope, but this new canister I use for my coffee has made me eat more at work.  I'll just leave it at that.  Anyway, I had pangs of hunger this morning, and I think that's why my mind leaped towards this punch card.

Then I did the math.  If this buy-nine, get-one-free deal ends this month, and if I still have one free hot drink to use, and if (and this is where I checked the calendar on my computer) there are nine work days left before I'm done with this deal in its entirety, I would go to the cafeteria each day from today till the 31st -- seven days to buy drinks in order to fill up this card, and two other days to buy mochas or something else for free.  But that would commit me to buying seven mochas this month, at a cost of (and this is where I used the calculator on my computer) $25.55.  I really, really shouldn't be spending this much discretionary income on this, but darn it, I was hungry this morning, so I did it.  And I'll be doing it for the rest of January

And despite what I initially thought, all of this is only going to make me even more fat.  Broke too.

No comments:

Post a Comment