Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Too Late?

I am glad that the test scoring place took me back after talking to my contact there about the thing that made me so upset last year.  Nevertheless, I know that any project I'll be on has the potential to just select leaders willy-nilly.  Plus, I'm still looking for longer-term work, if not full-time work; my contact knew that when I started working for her and the company seven years ago.

So, ever since I knew I was going to be part-time at the health insurance company, I have tossed out my resume at as many jobs as I could.  And I have thus gotten a lot of voicemail messages (through Google Voice) from temp agencies who apparently like my experience and skills.

I have called back several people from, like, three agencies.  I have also taken some afternoons to interview with two other agencies.  And there, even though I seem to have left a positive impression, I hit a dead end.  They didn't talk about the jobs I applied for, the ostensible reason they called me in the first place.  (I just thought of that; why didn't I ask them about the job I applied for?  Dang, I should've asked.)  And even though I got offered something different in my interview today, I left empty-handed.  Seems weird; if they like me, why can't I just ... you know, get something?

Well, it's too late at this point.  Friday I leave for Hong Kong, then I'll be overseas for a week.  Sure, something can come in, but how easy will it be to agree to a temp job, then tell the test scoring place that I'm ditching them?  The chance that something comes in this late is remote.  Shoot, getting something even earlier this week would be hard too, especially since the earliest I could begin any new job through a temp agency is two weeks from now, and these temp agencies might need people immediately.

So I'm stuck scoring tests for three months.  Maybe something will come in around Memorial Day.  But maybe not.  Will there be any jobs for me then?  I don't know, man, I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment