Tuesday, February 28, 2017

OK, So This Is The Part Of The Trip Where I Begin To Resent Everything And Everyone

Well, I had been in a foul mood since around this time yesterday (which would be ... uh ... Monday afternoon Central Time??) due to losing on Liverpool beating Leicester.  (And, once again, how the fuck did that happen?)  It got worse when I checked my parents' e-mail.  They are leaving for Las Vegas Tuesday, which would be great because those fucking people would be out of my hair.  But I saw an e-mail that have already booked their return flights for a fortnight from them.

So what I thought was an extended vacation turned out to be the status quo.  They'll pack food for me to eat for the whole two weeks, so there's no goddamn chance I'll be able to lose weight.  There's no way I can move to my sister's better bed and bedroom, and I'll have no chance to strewn my clothes all over the floor.  I won't be able to relax at home because on the two weekends I'll be gone, I'll be busy going out to alumni club duties or sporting events.  It'll be as if they never left.  So how in the hell can I miss them if they're not going to be gone?

I wanted to enjoy dinner with my uncle and aunt last (Tuesday) night, but the spectre of that bad mood was fed, literally.  They treated me to seafood, where they choose the live animals to be killed.  Sorry -- I understand fresh, but the hypocrite in me wants some distance so the blood on my hands are dried by the time the flesh I decided to eat arrives on my plate.  Uncle forced me to pose for a picture of a lobster that soon was going to be our dinner.

That lobster, a grouper, some prawns and a bunch of other dishes came out for us (me, uncle, auntie and their two daughters), and I quickly got full.  And as usual, once I get full in these Chinese dinners, I get sullen, then I get downright ornery.  During dinner I had these thoughts of Mother fucking telling me to "try this!" and "eat that!" and all I could think of was, if she were with us during this dinner, I would absolutely fucking flip out.  I couldn't eat anymore, and yet more dishes were coming.  And I really couldn't do anything about it because this was a Nice Family Dinner.

(There may be a reason why these fucking Chinese dinners are so arduous.  My aunt, who picked up on my plight through my pained body language early in the evening, noted that this is how things are done.  Eight dishes came out, and eight is a lucky number in Chinese culture.  Oh yeah.  I wonder if all our elaborate dinners my whole life have come in eight, because if it does, that explains a lot.  And I am kind of embarrassed if I just realized this now.)

But that wasn't the worst of it.  As soon as I sat down, my uncle told me that Mother asked him to ask me when I was going to get a girlfriend.  I am so goddamn tired of this fucking question.  My parents, the example by which I was raised, did nothing but fight and hate each other all my life (including now), and they're surprised I still haven't found someone?!  Fuck them!!!  If anyone asks when again I'll tell them what I usually say -- when my parents are dead.  I mean that.

So overfull and thus feeling sick and angry, we were finally done.  But after I got to my microtel and took a shit, my uncle calls me.  I told him about my sightseeing plans that I wanted to do.  During dinner, when I told them, I was kind of implying that I wanted to do it myself.  But he called and said that we would go on the Star Ferry and then to Victoria Peak this afternoon.  Great.  I have a chaperone, even though he has a job he could certainly go to.

And tomorrow we're going to Lantau to see the Big Buddha, together.  Guess I have a companion for the rest of this trip.  Look, he's a nice guy but ... I just wanted to do this by myself.  And I'm doing the Star Ferry by myself.  I am up this early because I want to see if it's still dark enough for me to get a spectacular view of Victoria Harbor before we gets to bright out.  I'm going to the Star Ferry as soon as my hour's up at the Internet Cafe.  Then I'll go back to my hotel and sleep, and then Uncle and I will ... go to the Star Ferry again.

---

Oh, by the way, I visited Grandmother yesterday (Tuesday), and I tried again at the OTB.  La Liga was playing, and I rolled the dice on Eiber beating Real Sociedad on the road.

And (looking up the score online on ESPN.com) ... they tied.  You know, I thought about betting on a draw before I picked Eibar.  Fuck, another goddamn $6.50 down the shithole.

No comments:

Post a Comment