Monday, February 20, 2017

Thoughts On Going Part-Time

Well, this will be the last of three weeks (actually two weeks and four days, seeing as I am leaving Thursday), and although I am very glad to stay on with these guys and help out, the new test scoring project begins in a couple weeks, and it seems as though the stars are aligned to not only finally visit Grandmother in Hong Kong but to also leave the job early.  Again, I was not given a formal end date; I was told I would be staying "through February."  Conceivably, I would have stayed through the 28th, and maybe through next week, which would have been March 3.  But I want to see Grandmother, and finally, the time seemed to be right.

Things are kind of winding down with work anyway.  I have a series of e-mails I need to monitor, and the number of health insurance packages I need to take care of has dwindled since I went part-time.  Because of that shrinking job duty, I volunteered to test some software, but only if my boss let me.  Well, he hasn't given me permission as of yet, and I don't know if at this late point I should even force the issue.  Look, these days all I do is go on the Internet and do paperwork.  That's great, but even I am at the point where I think I should do work.  Maybe this is an instance where my boss wouldn't care one way or the other ... but, inertia may just make me not do anything for these four days.  And even if I volunteer again to do testing, the people I would be helping test, who know I'm leaving Thursday, might say, "Never mind."

It's leaving at 12:30 that is making me feel ambivalent.  If I had a full day at work, not necessarily doing work, I could either fill my days with this testing or go really hard core with, for example, blogging at work.  But every day it feels as though I have set my stuff down and took my jacket off only to have to leave minutes later.  Four hours go by fast, and it's not enough time to do anything -- work or play -- substantial enough to really bore into it.  I would be pacing myself better if I just stayed home, frankly.

Also, consider that even though my paycheck has been cut in half, my expenses, such as it is, hasn't.  Just because I'm working half a day doesn't mean I can have to drive only halfway to work.  I've been diligent to not eat at the cafeteria the past two weeks, because I could, theoretically, eat all the wages I make at work.  I'm not making a whole lot of money as it is; thinking that I have such a small margin of profit that I can't even get something at the commissary isn't a sustainable way to work.

Yeah, all of this is academic now, being there are four days left there.  I still have to look for jobs at the company, I promised another supervisor I would send her my resume, and I could start throwing away all the papers I have accumulated, trash all the trash I have in my cubicle, and generally clean.  But as for things I need to do, well, there isn't.  And in that sense, it would make sense on my supervisors' part that this isn't the worst time for me to leave.  Well, it's been fun and productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment