Monday, February 27, 2017

So I'm In Hong Kong ...

... and I'm at an Internet cafe, where, even though I feel kind of humiliated by the brusque treatment of the guy working there, I am finally back online.  Wanted to make sure I get what I need, so I spoke
English, and he seemed to be kind of a dick, but hey, an Internet cafe isn't where I should expect sterling service.

My main reason for coming, and my main source of anxiety, is seeing Grandmother.  However, as of yesterday afternoon, I was able to see her.  She is, for the most part, well.  Her short-term memory is shot, but she seems physically healthy.  More importantly, she seems to be cared for, at least on the surface.  She has a nanny that stays with her during the day, and her son, daughter-in-law, grandson and granddaughter-in-law (the grandson got married on Saturday!!) all seem to live with her on the same flat.  We had dinner last night; it was nice.  I am going to try and see her again a few times more, and have dinner with them at least one more time.

The second thing I wanted to do in HK is visit my uncle and aunt.  Something tricky about this.  I thought I was going to stay with them, but instead, my uncle put me up at a, get this, microtel close by.  It's a bed and a bathroom -- that's it.  There is no closet.  I could use a closet, because right now the only place I can put my suitcase is in front of the door, and I have step over it.  The bed could be softer, the toilet could fill with water without me helping it, and I wish water in the shower wouldn't seep through the door and onto the floor.  But I looked online -- this room costs only $38 a night.  I don't want to rely on the adage that you get what you pay for, because my parents swear by Spirit Airlines, which is just a glorified slave ship to me, but ... no, I can't really complain.

The third thing I want to do is sightsee, and with the two things above and battling jet lag, I don't know how much I'm able to do.  I'm here partly to blog post for the first time in a couple days, but also to plan some things: A trip to the Hard Rock Cafe, going on the Star Ferry, maybe going up to Victoria Peak and, if I'm really frisky, the race track.  I just don't know how much I am able to do.

Maybe more later.

---

Gotta tell you, I'm kind of pissed off right now.  After leaving Grandmother's flat, I went to this off-track betting parlor.  I have yet to spend any of my own money, but gambling in Hong Kong was the perfect time to finally do it.

After a lot of trouble, I spent $50 HK on Liverpool over Leicester, who shitcanned the manager who took them on an impossible English Premiere League title.  Of course Liverpool was going to win, right?

It was 2-0 Leicester at the half.  I don't have the stomach to see the final score.

I swear, once I bet on something, the opposite is guarnteed to happen.

OK, just checked that $50 HK translates to about $6.50.  But still.

No comments:

Post a Comment