Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Now I've Got To Worry About Halloween, Too?

I've always had a sort of phobia regarding Halloween.  I've never been one to dress up for the holiday.  I was never creative.  For all you Gen-Xers out there: Do you remember those costumes in a box, where you would get a character from, like, the Care Bears, and in the box was a shirt and pants and a mask that was supposed to resemble that character?  Well, we had to dress up for Halloween each year while I was in elementary school, up until the 6th grade, and every year I would demand that my parents and/or Grandmother get me to, like, K-Mart so I can buy one of those, because I need to wear something to dress up for the Halloween parade we would have at school.  As I got older I noticed the other kids not doing these costumes-in-a-box, instead finding, like, actual costumes, and that just blew my mind.  I mean, why put so much thought into something that is going to last you only a day?

As I got older my lack of creativity (and caring) became a source of shame for me, so as soon as I didn't have the societal pressure to dress up for Halloween, I was out.  No trick-or-treating, either; I think I stopped relatively early.  The last thing I did for that holiday was around high school, I think; I was going to a party and I needed a costume bad, but I outgrew those costumes-in-a-box.  So I asked Grandmother and her friend to take me to K-Mart so I could buy something.  I saw that there was, like, a lazy man's costume t-shirt, where there was a list of things I was supposed to be.  One of the costumes was "timberwolf," and I think the Minnesota Timberwolves were still new then, and I had a Wolves hat, so that is what I was for Halloween that year.  And that was the last time I dressed up.

That drought looks like it's coming to an end.  The people at work are pretty serious about the holiday.  Even though it's a lab setting, they were allowed to put up and even draw Halloween-themed drawings on the windows.  We're supposed to have a special lunch that day.  We are doing a department-wide trick-or-treat, where we have to bring a bag so people can drop candy into them.  And yes, there's a costume contest, too.  I don't have to compete, but dammit, peer pressure is making me think I should.  And honestly, I have thought about going to one of these costume rental companies to rent out a costume for the holiday before.  I now have an excuse to at least try it out.  The costumes aren't cheap.  I see quotes online of $50, and there might be a deposit that goes with it.  But hey, I'll try it once.  Maybe.  We'll see.

Oh, and I know I'll have to buy candy.  I could go the easy route, go to Target and get them fun size treats.  But I'm thinking about going online and buying expensive ones.  I haven't ordered from a boutique chocolatier in a long time, and this might be the excuse to do just that.  I just need to find something of which there are 30 of them, and wrapped.  And if it's expensive enough, I might shy away from getting a costume.

Egad, this is too much pressure!

No comments:

Post a Comment