Sunday, October 28, 2018

OK, Time For Something Different

Stayed in for most of the day.  Went out in the afternoon for Target and lunch.  Wanted to go to New Bohemia and be part of this Q&A with this beat writer for MNUFC, but I slept through it.

I'm not going to push myself this weekend.  Rest is what I need, and if I have to not do anything in order to get better, that's what I'll do.  So after my alma mater's loss last night, I went to bed and felt as though I didn't need to do another goddamn thing.  So I slept from midnight till 5, checked my fantasy football lineups, thought about getting breakfast but instead fell asleep from 8:30 till 11, then woke up and went out, ate the Wendy's I bought, then slept from 2 until 8, after which I woke up, ate the rest of the Wendy's (I ate the fries in the afternoon and the salad just now), watched the abortion that was the Vikings game, saw the end of the World Series (dammit, Dodgers front office, why did you pull Rich Hill in Game 4?!), and here I am.

And I am still coughing, sadly.  I don't know if I'm getting better.  And even though I want to think that the medicine I was taking was working ... well, it wasn't, not really.  I haven't coughed so hard that I gagged, but I thought the ton of sleep I've been getting would knock this out for good, and it hasn't.

So I went to Target to get more cough medicine because I ran out.  What I bought was generic Mucinex, which is an antitussive, or cough suppressant.  It has dextromethorphan, the acutally active ingredient for cough suppression, and guaifenesin, an expectorant which promotes the production of mucus and makes coughing easier ... which makes no sense, 'cause why do you want to cough easier?

Not to say it didn't completely work, but it didn't completely work, so I tried a different coterie of active ingredients.  I got some Theraflu, which has diphenhydramine, an antihistamine that supposedly blocks the production of mucus which cannot be coughed up so violently.  That knocked me the fuck out in the afternoon, but frankly, I still have phlegm in my mouth, so that way ain't working either.

If anything, another active ingredient in the Theraflu is making me feel better, and it's one you probably know about: Ibuprofen.  I woke up with a nagging headache, but before heading out to Target for some aspiring I checked my fridge to see if we still had any.  That's when I found this unopened bottle of Motrin, which is brand-name ibuprofen.  This was a bottle I bought the last time I went to the nearby K-Mart when it was announced it was going out of business.  These were the "pills that I could use, someday" -- and today was that someday!  And you know what?  Even though the bottle expired January 2016 (I bought these Thanksgiving of 2014), the headache cleared up.  And the acetaminophen in the Theraflu has combated much of the pain I've felt from all the coughing and aches I've suffered.  Cough hasn't gone away, and I still feel lethargic, but I'm not hurt as much.

Maybe I'll stay in tomorrow, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment