Saturday, October 6, 2018

So I Need To Go Back To Using Internet Explorer?

So Thursday was a terrible day at work, but yesterday was OK.  Today will be bad, however, as I shift back into the position I had such trouble with earlier in the week.

The company I work for is fairly by-the-book -- as in, there are detailed instructions on everything I need to do.  I was given these instructions when I began, but for God's sake I didn't even look at them because it was an abstract, something akin to theoretical mathematics.  How in the hell am I supposed to understand it when I haven't even begun to look at it myself?  And then once I started working, I didn't have time to look at the instructions because everything was just go-go-go, and if I fucked up, well, what could I do?

Ever since I got out of work yesterday (Friday) I have been worried about the prospect of going back to this particular skill set that I simply don't have.  I tried going back to the instructions for fear I've totally been not doing something I should have been doing from the start -- maybe too little, too late, seeing as I've been at this job for two months now -- but I thought about something this evening: Why don't I just look at the instructions now, from home?  Maybe it's not kosher, maybe it's even illegal.  But dammit, if I need to do this job, I might as well spend some time at home (when I'm not getting paid) to do this fucking job right, you know?  Besides, after doing this for a while, I think I am getting the hang of the terminology and the processes that I have put into practice after essentially learning to swim by diving into the deep end of the pool.  Maybe it would have been useless to even go through the instructions before I started because it would have been like looking at a menu written in Sanskrit, but I get the hang of it now, and now I can go back and fill in the holes in my work.

One problem as I tried logging into my training module site from Glam Doll: The instructions use JavaScript, and I cannot look at the instructions using my conventional Web browser, Chrome.  In fact, according to the warning I see where the instructions should be, the only browser that does automatically use JavaScript as an add-on and thus will allow me to read the instructions is ... Internet Explorer.  Ah, yes, the trusty, old, slow, perennially maligned browser that has been around since the beginning of public use of the Internet itself.

I have sort of noticed the inability, if not the outright blocking, of Java onto the most popular browsers such as Chrome and Firefox.  I've had to use Java-enabled documents and sheets in the past, and sometimes they load really slow, and sometimes they crash.  So I understand why some browsers just say, Nope, we're not going to even allow you to put in this add-on because it just screws everything up.  But for some damn reason, my company, which appears to be forward-thinking when it comes to specifically spelling out instructions for my job, won't allow employees to reference those instructions without making them use what is considered the most backwards and obsolete browser still being used today.  I find that a tad ironic.

And that means I can't see these instructions on my laptop.  Well, I guess I could download IE onto my lap, but why in the hell would I sully my good computer that way?  So I decided to come home and use Father's desktop to read the instructions because it has IE loaded onto it.  I've spent the past hour or so re-reading the instructions, and even though a lot of it still goes over my head, many parts of it I go, Oh, that's what I'm supposed to do!  And now I feel more confident -- just a tad, but moreso than I would have if I didn't review this.  So hopefully my supervisor won't be breathing down my neck today, fingers crossed.

The only downside to all of this is that Father's desk computer is kind of old and may not have the greatest of protection.  Hopefully I haven't spilled all my company's secrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment