Sunday, April 11, 2021

2021 March Madness Anti-Picks, Final

Record, Round 6: 0-1
Final Record: 21-29
Total Outlay, Round 6: $1,700.00
Total Winnings, Round 6: $0.00
Total Loss, Round 6: $1,700.00.
Final Loss: $3,213.63

Baylor had only the 44th-most-efficient defense in top-flight men's basketball, and I was supposed to pick them to win it all?!?!?!  No fucking way, and I don't care that they had very good odds of winning the championship.  But I tried convincing myself not to pick Gonzaga, both because it seems incredibly difficult to run the table and finish a season undefeated, and because they still cannot pull off the yoke that they're in a mid-major conference.  I just couldn't find a team that could do it: Houston and Alabama didn't have the star power; Illinois was going to get upset by Houston; Michigan lost their starting Point Guard ... and the Bears were going to be the one that gets upset early in the tournament because of defensive lapses.

That, of course, was not to be.  Maybe the Bulldogs blew their emotional wad when Jalen Suggs buried that 3 at the buzzer to beat UCLA.  But Baylor made their shots, turned the Zags over, and completely stomped them from the opening tip.  I needed Gonzaga (or at least Corey Kispert) to make some more shots to guide the Game over.  But since the Bulldogs and Kispert, didn't, the Bears felt comfortable bleeding clock near the end of the Game, and so the total of 156 fell under the Total of 159.5 ... making me a fool one final goddamn time with a (fake) hole in my bank account to the tune of $3,200.

And IRL wasn't much better.  There were enough people who bet Baylor to win the championship that I got shoved down the list and out of the money.  I eventually wound up 34th; the top 30 (as well as the person who finishes dead last) get something.  Sometimes I feel good about my finish regardless; I did pick two of the Final Four correctly, and I feel motivated to try again.  And sometimes I feel bad about it; there is no guarantee I will get even this close ever again.

Right now I feel shitty.  So I suck in fake gambling, which should make me feel good because the money I lost in this exercise is fake, but then I turn around and realize I suck in real gambling, too.

And I'll gladly do this bullshit again next Year.  Like a fuckin' cuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment