Saturday, February 2, 2013

Laptop Continues To Betray Me

So right now my lap doesn't boot up about every other time I start it.  I guess I could just do that thing where I take out the battery and hold down the power button for 30-60 seconds every other time.  But it's getting to be a problem, especially after I tried System Restore three times and each time I just got back to The Black Screen Of Death.

Today I was lying in bed, wondering why the fuck am I up, when I receive a call.  It was from the temp agency, and they were calling me about a job prospect that cropped up!  The endorphin kicked in and I was so happy that I decided to go down to the Microsoft Store at the Mall of America to see if I can get my computer fixed -- for free.  Why not, what the hell else am I going to do?

So I go down there and ask for help.  And I got it.  And I continued to sit as they worked on it and worked on it.  I wanted to listen to Common Man's "Five Questions" segment because I don't think I've heard it in its entirety even once this week, and I was kicking myself for going into the store so late because it had been taking so long.  But as the techs continued to dig deeper into my laptop, it wasn't going to matter how early I got to the Microsoft Store, because I was going to miss Common's segment anyway.

I was there for about 3 1/2 hours.  And they could not get to the bottom of my problems.  It was not a virus nor a software issue, it was ultimately determined.  Probably hardware, and if it's the hard drive, I could try and fix it.  All I would need is to buy a solid-state hard drive to replace the original inside, take that old drive and use it as an external drive, then upgrade to Windows 7 by finding a key.  That seems ... simple.

Of course, if it's something more expensive, such as the motherboard, that's a different story.  With the money I would have to spend to buy such a new part, then paying someone to install that and then re-install all the other software, I might as well just buy a new damn laptop.  I can see that.  Then again, I could also see myself in a financial situation where I don't have enough money to buy a new lap but, because I depend on this thing I'm typing on so much, I'll shell out the cash for a motherboard.

The reality now is is that I can't even afford this solid-state hard drive and Windows 7 upgrade.  I'm going to have to live with The Black Screen Of Death.  What I will probably do -- what I have started to do today -- is just do the power button thing every time I use my lap.  It's a pain-in-the-ass, and I certainly could see myself just one day chucking this thing against the wall.  But till I have enough money to allow myself such destruction, that's what I'm going to have to do.

This is not to say I was disappointed with The Microsoft Store.  I am convinced that the service people were nice, helpful, knowledgeable and thorough.  They told me my next steps clearly.  And, I cannot have a problem with them spending 3 1/2 hours on trying to find the root of this problem for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment