Thursday, January 30, 2014

One Thing I've Noticed About Our Really Cold Winter

Whenever I get into my car in the morning, if it's really cold, not just your ordinary cold morning but the polar vortex cold we've had several times this season, my door slams cleaner.  I don't know exactly know how to describe it.  Normally, when I slam the door shut, there's a ... resonating thud.  But when it's cold, really cold outside, there isn't that resonance.  It's as if the door is on a track, and it goes through that track, cleanly, without any friction, on its way to slamming shut.  It has a pure pop when I close it.  It's actually quite nice, even though it means to me that it's really darn cold outside.

Remember, this is an old car.  I don't know how many times I've slammed that front driver's-side door, but it has to be hundreds.  From the outside, you can tell that I've opened and closed that thing so often that it's starting to malign from its hinges.  It should creak and rattle whenever I close it, and it usually does.  But not when it's cold.  I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Yet another Wind Chill Advisory is in effect starting at midnight and lasting, so I hear, till noon.  Which means that "clean sound" is back.

No comments:

Post a Comment