Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Triple Shot Of Overwhelmed ... (Scheduled Post)

... and all of this just for looking at my e-mail.

Since I have a smartphone I'm slowly putting my imprint on it.  Tonight (Monday night) I was able to sync it up with my e-mail, and since I hadn't yet checked it today, I had, like, 14 messages to read.

One of them was a reply to an e-mail I sent to a contact at my university regarding a matter with our alumni club.  It was in regards to a volunteer opportunity we have to run by headquarters.  We had a deadline of two weeks ago, but I had yet to hear an OK; that's why I sent the e-mail.  Well, he got back to me and said that he has received no such proposal.  I worked on that fucking thing all through the late night and he didn't get it?  Did I even do it at the right website?

Then I see another e-mail from one of the guys in the local chapter of the alumni club, forwarding a failure of an online donation to my alma mater.  The company this money was donated to is something I haven't ever fucking heard of.  They're saying they are sorry but plead for patience as they try to work the bugs out -- and they ask that they try to donate again in mid-February.  What the fuck?  What kind of philanthropic organization asks that you try to donate three weeks from now?  Not to mention another obvious question: What the fuck does my friend from the club have to do with this?  He's not supposed to get these e-mails, or any such e-mails, in fact.  How do I get them sent to me?  I don't know to get this changed, but I know that since I ascended to the presidency, I should have had that done yesterday.

And after all of that I notice yet another e-mail, this one from my temp agency.  My contact use to reach out to me at the beginning of the assignment, then maybe a week after, then maybe a month after, and that was it.  Well, he's gone, replaced by one and maybe two people I've never met, and the correspondence has cranked up ... just at the time my work with the flu billers is winding out.  This e-mail sent today begs me to call them back when I have the time.  This was sent in the middle of the day, when (at least I was told) I am not allowed to look through personal e-mails.  So I missed talking to her until today, so I have all night to dread what she wants to talk about.  Well, it's probably about the inevitable end of my employment, which is something I've known about for some time, and even planned around, if my vacation next week is any indication.  Still I just don't know how to react if she says something to the effect of, "OK, so your job is going to end on this date ... what are you going to do next?"

Fuck if I know!  Hell, I spoke to my aunt and uncle Monday evening and agreed to go out to dinner with their extended family because they thought my parents were still vacationing.  And now, on top of this volunteer proposal that may have evaporated and this donation of sorely-needed money that vaporized in the 'Net and this talk with my employer about My Future, I have to shower and shave and eat with people I barely know?!

Oh, and it's still existentially cold outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment