Monday, January 6, 2014

Winter Has Come

The coldest temperatures in two decades is here.  To make sure both of the cars I have use of right now work, I am taking them out on some runs to make sure the engines don't freeze out of lack of use.  For example, right now I'm at My Favorite Late-Night Italian Place.  I'm not hungry, and I really should be in bed now.  But I have to put my car through its paces in the cold.

I'll do the same thing tomorrow: I think I'll drive to work in my parents' minivan, and then at night I'll use my car to ... well, I don't know, but again, I think I need to use it, so I guess I'll get coffee.  Anything to avoid watching the last Mythical National Championship in college football.

But starting when I drove home from the community center tonight in my parents' minivan (I went home and switched cars before heading out to eat) I felt the cold.  Worse yet is the wind; it always seems as if that when it's cold, it's windy.  But this one is worse than I've felt in a long time, if not ever.  I took out my glove so I can get out my key to open the front door.  When the gust of wind passed over my hand, I felt the blood in it change its mind and go back into my heart.

It's deathly cold outside.  I still prefer the cold over snow and the humidity and heat of the summer.  But not this.  God no, not this.  I really hope I'm able to live through this.  And for those of you living in states that are going to experience this "polar vortex," I wish you good luck as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment