Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Oh, I Forgot About The Application Fee

So I got everything having to do with the application done except the recommendations.  But when I tried submitting it, it wouldn't accept it because it still needed, at the very least, people I have notified on the application to send recommendations.  Well, that's a sticky wicket.

I think I did not take this as seriously as I could because I didn't want people to know that I was applying.  But after I asked, sheepishly, admissions again about this, to which they told me that I had to put three contacts down on the app before I could submit it, I was at a crossroads: Either stop at this point and not even submit it, or bite the bullet, put down three names and shove this submission through.

So a few hours ago I texted all my friends, at least the ones who would understand me giving their personal information as, well, sham references for an application that had no chance of acceptance.  Haven't given them the full story yet, but starting tonight I'll break it to them, and hopefully they'll forgive me.  I did say they didn't have to do anything, even if they're prompted to send recommendations.  If they feel that they should -- if they, in essence, are taking this application process more seriously than I did -- that may be a problem.  But I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Anyway, I was able to secure phone numbers and e-mail addresses, and so I was able to fill out the whole application.  And then I submitted it ... only to be told to pay, gulp, $275.  Goddamn, I totally forgot that when you send an admissions application, you have to pay.  Totally forgot.

That should have stopped me.  But you know what?  In for a penny -- or, in my case, half a penny -- in for a pound.  So even though I'm at work and the web browser told me it wasn't secure, I took out my wallet and entered information to permit my credit card to be charged $275 for an application that might be rejected 24 hours from now.

Why did I do it?  Uh ... just to say that I did it?  I did do some work, so I didn't want my app to be a total waste?  So I can show My Father the rejection letter when it comes in the mail, so at least he knows that I actually did apply?  (Actually, that might be a viable reason.)  Right now I'm in shock that I just shelled out $275 I can't really afford to waste, so I'm grasping at excuses here.

No comments:

Post a Comment