Saturday, June 6, 2009

Our Store Is CLOSED. We Will Miss YOU

That was the paper sign hanging on the closed metal gate at the Waldenbooks at Northtown Mall when I passed by it today. Shocked me. I haven't been there in a while, so it could've closed down weeks ago. The last time I saw them they seemed fine and operable. I guess everybody's got a Kindle now, or something.

I felt the same kind of loss when I went to Rosedale on Monday. Hadn't been there in a few weeks at least, but I wanted to eat at Arby's on the way to work because I had a coupon, but when I got there all their signs were turned off. No! I thought, they can't be closed. But they were. And I definitely know they didn't close because they lost money; their business was fine. Down in the food court they also closed Blue Sky Creamery, but I can understand them: They had no business, sadly. Guess they couldn't get enough people to buy their delicious ice cream.

Right now it seems like shops are closing down left and right. I know businesses come and go, but shit, these places did nothing wrong. Did the economy chew them up and spit them out? And what about the workers? If they can't go on forever, man, why even start a business in the first place?

By the way, the caps on the paper sign at Waldenbooks were actually there. Why would they put "YOU" in all-caps just like "CLOSED?" Were they differentiating from missing, um, "THEM?"

No comments:

Post a Comment