Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Funny Thing Happened Today

Woke up around noon when my Grandmother knocked on the door. Told me to call my Father. Uh-oh.

When he called me he lit into me -- why aren't you awake, don't you have any sense of "the daytime" (in actual English, why can't you wake up the same time as everybody else), blah-blah-blah. I'm sorry, what do you want, I asked. Nothing, he said. So I hung up.

About 90 minutes later, as I was leaving Smashburger (best of the new burger places that've cropped up in town) when my Father called me. "Are you ready to tell me what you want now?" I asked. He did. He wanted me to help book him a flight to Vegas with the credits he's accrued with Sun Country. I did without a raised voice, from him or from me.

He came home. Girded myself for the worst. Didn't happen; we just ate dinner and that's it.

I don't know if booking a flight was the thing he wanted me to do this morning. I don't know if he decided he needed to calm down. But how things turned out in the end, regardless of whether either of us deserve any credit, was refreshing and relieves me of a lot of pain in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment