Sunday, June 28, 2009

Questions About The Media Coverage Of Farrah Fawcett's Death

Only because I can't help but be curious. And I ask questions because I'm not good at offering solutions.

-Does Farrah Fawcett's death warrant the hour-long tributes about her on Thursday? Obviously she can't compare with Michael Jackson's death (what a coincidence), and I could just be showing how young I am, but I don't know if a former Charlie's Angel who had just three Emmy nominations would get a special devoted to her.

-I might be having my cake and eating it too, but is the media highlighting her death because they were and are covering Michael Jackson's death intensely and non-stop, so they were afraid they were going to ignore her death altogether? Assuming she would have had specials about her regardless of Jackson, it would be ironic if the media was going to completely distort Fawcett's place in pop culture no matter what.

-Tabloids, TMZ, and even the mainstream press are going to, excuse the word, overdose on the aftermath, and the ancillary issues about Jackson (who gets the kids, what will happen to his nine-figure debt, the will) soon will overtake coverage of his death. I wonder if that pushes out any similar stories about Fawcett. It would be coming if Jackson hadn't died, and they still could come months later, but now, she's an afterthought. And maybe that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment