Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Best Commercial On TV Right Now: Apple iPhone Featuring John Malkovich

I don't mind the first two celebrity iPhone commercials.  But I could see how the one with Zooey Deschanel could make you gag with her preciousness.  And the one with Samuel L. Jackson seems kind of false, you know?  I don't buy him cooking dinner for his wife.  I half expect him to shout, "I WANT THESE MOTHERFUCKIN' BEANS OUT OF MY MOTHERFUCKIN' GAZPACHO!!!" take out his gun and put a cap in the pot like he was Jules.

But whether or not this is the real John Malkovich or the John Malkovich persona we are all creeped out by and love, this perfectly captures how we know the actor and how we would think he would play around with his iPhone (the first time he's decided to pimp a product in a commercial, I believe).  With his typical breezy attitude with a hint of sinister foreboding underneath the surface and his laconic one-word requests of Siri that sounds like he's flirting with it/her, this is the perfect mesh of product placement and actor brand reinforcement.

No comments:

Post a Comment