Friday, May 4, 2012

Ruining The Good Vibes At Dinner

So yesterday was a good day for family relations at the house -- little arguing, no nagging, had to take a shower before eating, but hey, compromises, right?

Just as we assembled for dinner and I internally noted the comity of the place, I realized something: I had to break the news to my folks that the rebate for the anti-virus software they made me buy (for $60) was no good and that they had to eat the full price of the thing.

I did blog about this.  But to recap: I was just chillin' in my room when My Father called me from downstairs and wanted me to get this great deal for him online.  His friend said that this anti-virus software would actually pay him one penny once you send in the rebate.  The $60 was charged to his card and the software came and I installed it even though it was unnecessary and it's all bullshit, and then he was being an asshole and I didn't give two shits about this software, and then one day he reminds me to send the rebate in.  I look and the rebate had to be in by New Year's Eve, thereabouts.  Moreover, to be eligible for the rebate you had to send in proof of a previous anti-virus software.  We were late and ineligible.

I didn't want to tell him I fucked up and he fucked up, however.  So I took advantage of the customary two-to-three-month lag time for getting your rebate money and held off My Father's repeated questioning with, "They're not done yet."  I told them it'd take up to three months.  And three months is about now.

He last reminded me earlier this week.  Couldn't delay it any longer.  So now we're at the dining table and the first thought I have is, "Yeah, this is a great time to tell him the rebate's no good!"  But then I thought, "Wait, this is totally going to fuck up the mood of the table."  And then I thought: "Great, now My Fucking Father is going to be mad at me."  But then I had my final thought: "Might as well tell him; he'll get mad at you about something anyway."

So as we sat down I said, "Bad news. ..." and then I told them about the rebate.  I said they needed proof we (or him, since this is My Father's idea) bought previous anti-virus software, so it's not completely lying.  He became silent.  Mother, as is her wont, started asking questions, then started asking stupid questions, the ones that usually start with, "Well, why didn't you ... ?"  In this case it was, "Well, why didn't you know you had to have anti-virus software before???"  I totally threw My Father under the bus: "I didn't know what the rules are when Father made me buy it.  I just bought it!"  That, thankfully, shut her up.

The mood chilled incredibly after that.  They spoke a little, even heard a chuckle coming from both once or twice, but the light mood that probably was there was gone.

We haven't discussed the rebate ever since, so I guess that subject is over.  Whether they get mad at me at this by transferring their anger to something remains to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment