Tuesday, May 29, 2012

I think I have blogged before about one of my OCD things, catching the beginning of the evening national news.  I had just finished painting the shed (and finishing -- something I can say I successfully completed while my parents were gone!), and it just so happened that there were ten minutes before they were on.  Perfect timing.

I decided to focus on Channel 11, the NBC affiliate, because for the TV in the dining room, that channel comes in the best most consistently.  So I waited till the end, when the local 5 o'clock news transitions to the beginning of the national news.

But since it was Memorial Day, they decided to go out with the Star-Spangled Banner instead of their theme music, and they had a tableau of American flags that they focused on instead of a far shot of the set.  I then thought that the song will completely play out till the beginning of the NBC Nightly News, so I decided to look down and start taking my iPod, which ran out of energy while I was painting, out of its protective case.  I, unfortunately, forgot that songs like that are used to pad time, and that it could be cut out whenever they have to throw to the national news.

Which is what they did as I was looking down; I heard the beginning of the NBC Nightly News theme song and perked my eyes back up to see Samantha Guthrie give the rundown.  It doesn't matter if it's our national anthem, apparently, even that gets cut when it hits 5:30:00 CDT.  And since I did not see the very first frame of the news, I technically failed to see the beginning of the evening national news.

Honestly, I can't live it down, and it'll bother me for some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment