Saturday, June 1, 2013

Addendum To: "This is the third straight morning my folks ..."

Woke up early today, for a fourth straight morning.  Partly it was in anticipation of My Fucking Father wanting me to do some more yard shit, partly because I was so tired after yesterday morning that I again fell asleep much earlier than usual (10:30 I think) and woke up at a time "normal" people wake up on the weekends, 8:30-ish.  Luckily he didn't have anything for me.  In fact, my parents had to go to The Store, I think, around 10:30.

I know this is kind of ironic, but with them being gone I felt I had the breathing room to actually -- wait for it -- volunteer to do some yardwork.  In particular I was worried about the grass seeds already drying, and so I wanted to pour some water in both yards.  That was one of the many things that was not done right the last time they tried reviving the lawns four years ago -- you know, when I absolutely went off on My Fucking Father for not telling me about reseeding the yards until he came home that evening with a bunch of new sod?

So they left and I went out and for the next 90 minutes I hosed down every single square inch of that lawn with water.  (Maybe My Father was right and I didn't need to do it because of rain; as I type this I can hear it pouring outside.)  That's when I noticed another thing that wasn't done right, both now and before: The seeds are unevenly dispersed across the new dirt.  That's when I realize that people in the know recommend spreading grass seeds with a spreader.  And that is when I also realize that we, in fact, have a spreader, one I use twice a year for fertilizer.

I should have told Father about it.  But I have excuses, and unlike my OCD worrying about parking too far away from downtown even though the many empty meters aren't enforced because it was Memorial Day, I am satisfied with these excuses.  Even though we've done yardwork for the past four days, I still believe I was given too short notice to do anything to improve the new re-seeding process.  Also, I was too busy helping my folks shovel dirt to think of the next step, which obviously was putting down seeds.  Hey, this was not my idea, this was My Father's.  Which leads me to my last reason for not being too hard on myself: I'm not going to start an argument with him if he sets his mind to do something, like he is here.  Why bother thinking for people when it will only go to waste?

There are so many things to do to properly put down new grass.  We need to tamp down the soil with one of those big, heavy-ass rollers, for example.  I don't have time to do that, and if my parents see me using one of those huge contraptions they're going to ask why do I think they need that, and that brings up questions I'm not prepared to answer.  So even if I insist on water the seeds, there are still many steps we're skipping, which means there's a good chance that this will fail yet again.  The weed killer that My Fucking Father made me use on the weeds five (?) years ago did such a number on huge swaths of the lawns that the thing we might have to do is dig up and throw away a lot of the soil in the affected areas because they're simply poisonous.  But will I do that?  Probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment