Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Addendum To: Addendum To: "We Are Running Out Of Papers"

Well, at least I finally got some clarity about the end date of this project.  In response to a question I asked, my supervisor came up to my computer and said that, chances are, we would not last to Friday.  Good to know; I was able to be sure enough to cancel my appointment to participate in a research study at the U. on Thursday, and to start planning for going to this place to buy a solid-state drive for my laptop.

Meanwhile, I got the stats from yesterday: I've done even worse.  Now there is only one person between me and the bottom.  How in the hell is everybody grading so fast?  I will say this, however: Now that it appears we will be, at least, one day short of our project, my frustration that we were "working ourselves out of a paycheck" have subsided.  Maybe my paranoia came in part to the fact that a big part of the room we are now scoring in, those who are scoring different questions, were told not to even show up today.  That may be because there were so few papers left, but it could be because the few papers that are left they could not bring up.  You see, for the past few days there's been a software problem that kicks us out of the system.  That happened to me a couple times during work, and it stopped me for a good 15-20 minutes both times.  I'm scared for how slowly I worked when I see the production sheets tomorrow/this morning, but at least I have a good excuse.

However I'm not sweating how my slowness is being perceived because today a sheet was passed around the room to sign up for the last projects of the season.  Furthermore, the woman who was passing it around assured us that everybody is doing fine.  If that is the case, and I've dealt with this woman many times and I believe her to be nice and a straight-shooter, I should get one more job before it's all said and done.

Or, they could look at my stats and decide I'm too slow to help out.  In which case, my sense of security is undeserved, and fuck me.

No comments:

Post a Comment