Saturday, June 22, 2013

Store's In Bad Shape

The Store has a bad roof, and it leaks water.  I first discovered this over holiday season, when I was just waltzing through The Store's aisles, making sure she knows I love her, when I looked down and saw this shallow but wide pool of dark brown water in the second and third aisles.  I had to spend an entire evening cleaning that up, and I wasn't even done, so I had to go back after work (I was working for the flu biller, if I have the chronology correct) the next evening and clean up the rest of it.

My parents warned me that this would happen again while they were gone.  We even went the day before, after having an early Father's Day dinner, back to The Store to empty the pails, jugs and plastic receptacles catching all the water from the many leaks coming through the attic.  To make sure, after dropping them off Sunday morning I went back to The Store to make sure everything was OK.  It was, so I hadn't dropped by during my Week Staycation.

But then it rained really hard overnight Thursday.  I had to check out The Store Friday morning, and sure enough, the attic floor was wet in a lot of places.  Plus the two big pails, catching the water for the two biggest leaks through the roof, was overflowing.  I had to empty them with this small pail, pour them into these white jugs, put them on this cart, them haul them across the way to the stoop, where I could pour it down two floors out the side.  Took me more than an hour, but I did it.

Unfortunately it then rained even heavier Friday evening.  (I was driving to get credit for some beer bottles I washed, then I was going to the Megamall before finishing up at My Favorite Stripclub [Cover Version]; it was worst on my way to the brewery place, where there were times I didn't think my car was going to make it across standing puddles of water on the highways.)  I felt guilty about not cutting my night short and checking on The Store instead, but I waited till this morning, where it was even worse.  Water was everywhere, including a part of the attic where it wasn't leaking through the ceiling, the rain just came in through the flimsy windows.

I got there too late to clean it all up before I had to this alumni thing this afternoon, so I did what I could, went down, talked to a friend about picking up a Windows 7 key, then came back to The Store.  I still didn't have enough time because I wanted to come home to watch the Stanley Cup Final Game 5 (well, after I went to the grocery store to pick up chicken for my parents, who are coming home tomorrow), but I wanted to do some stuff because it's so bad, it looks like I have to go back tomorrow to finish up.

After emptying all the buckets I started mopping up the floor.  Father had a mop upstairs but not a bucket?  I had to use the conveyor belt to bring those up.  While mopping that wet area with the good ceiling, I noticed that the broom was not aligned.  So I took a few breaths' break to disassemble it and move the mop to its right place, so that the threads on both sides are equal.  Well, Father was using an old and shitty mop apparatus because the bar that holds the mop in the handle had broken off.  He wrapped the strings around it so that it would work, but I apparently undid all that.  So I couldn't mop anymore because the damn thing's broken.  And there isn't another mop at The Store.  How can these guys not have another mop?

So I had to leave with a puddle upstairs.  Oh yeah, there are not just one but several puddles at the Store floor, too, and I hadn't even begun to touch those.  Finally, there's rain in the forecast for tonight.  Yippee.

No comments:

Post a Comment