Monday, June 10, 2013

Addendum To: "We Are Running Out Of Papers"

The one thing I wish my supervisor would do more often is communicate, especially with regard to the number of papers left for us to grade.  He has said nothing, but I sit close enough to hear him (with the help of him, nor anybody in the fucking room really, refusing to use their indoor voices) to overhear some of us asking him on a potential end date of the project.  From what I can gather, I doubt we will make it to the end of the week, let alone the original end date of next Monday.  Better guess is Wednesday, though I have a feeling we could be all wrapped up before end of day tomorrow.  That makes my rule of thumb -- take the original end date and cut it in half, and that's how long you can count on the project lasting -- pretty much dead-on accurate.

Saw our stats for the project; I'm one of the slowest in my group.  This may have something to do with the allergy fit I had Friday, but the stats are broken by day as well as overall, and I'm a slowpoke in both ranges.  I should be very concerned over that; I believe this company is a ruthless meritocracy, and I would expect them to drop me if they don't think I'm fast enough.

But here's the thing: A lot of the guys are lapping some of us.  I think a couple have even done twice as many papers as we, or at least I, have.  Is it a coincidence that we are finishing almost a week earlier than projected?  I don't think I'm being slow; I'm being thorough.  And when we get done with this, I think those of us tailing behind will be upset that we are missing out on money because they too see how some of the team basically ran us into unemployment.

So I'm stuck.  On the one hand I'm not going to go faster than I'm comfortable.  But on the other hand I have to keep up with the Joneses.  If I fail to satisfy either, I might be on the street.  But I can't satisfy both.

Ah, fuck my life.  I'll be done with this by tomorrow, and then my problem will be just finding work again.

No comments:

Post a Comment