Sunday, June 30, 2013

This Was Going To Be A Blog Post Of Getting Hired, But It Will Also Be About The Driving Nightmare I Had This Evening (Edit: Actually, This All Happened June 20; I Did Not See My Incorrect Headline Until Just Now, Sorry)

OK, so the good news is is that I actually got the job from the scoring center!!!  It was in the mail dropped off yesterday (Wednesday); I just refused to leave the house to check the mail until this (Thursday) morning. I opened up the mailbox, looked at the logo on the envelope and went, "Oh, shit!" then I went inside and immediately called them to confirm I'm working on the project.  Yippee!!!  They don't hate me for being slow after all!!!

So that's the good news.  The bad news was how I so royally fucked up my plans for this evening.

I had to shake down my parents' customer who consistently borrows money from them.  OK, not shake down, per se, I don't have a gun, but this is money, a lot of money, and they have always taught me that it's important.  So I can't take this lightly, even though I went there wearing my Cophenagen Hard Rock CafĂ© t-shirt and waved goodbye to the woman who gave me the check in the amount she owes the 'Rents.  I need to back up ... this was important for me to do, and they wanted me to collect the money yesterday, and that is what I did.

However, work and my stupidity intervened.  I stayed up so late (part of it was to talk to my sister, part of it because no one was fucking here to bitch at me to go to sleep) that I checked my e-mails before going to bed at a quarter to 8 saying that I did get that MRI session that afternoon.  Then, after I woke up at 1 I went out to get the mail and see that I am indeed working next week.  I still squeezed in a quick jaunt down to Sonic to take advantage of that day's 1/2-off on their tasty shakes, but I went back home to check on my e-mail before picking up the invoices I needed to take the restaurant.

In anticipation of unemployment, I had lined up some experiments to do this week.  But because of this project, I had to cancel them.  One of them was the one in the West Bank I was debating whether or not I even had time to make it after I got finished with the previous test scoring project.  Since I was about to cancel on this guy for a second time, especially after he was so nice to e-mail me back telling me about special make-up times, I thought it was only fair that I call him up and tell him that I chose to accept the project.  He was really cool about it, even though it was the last week they were conducting this study, and the fact that I had no-showed would still stick in my account because I wasn't going to come in.

I then left to get to my car so I could reach the U. on time.  But shit, I forgot something -- my sunglasses!  So I had to open the door and turn off the alarm to retrieve my sunglasses from my bookbag.  I was able to make it just in time for my session.

After I got done with "work" I was ready to continue my late afternoon trip to the restaurant, then maybe up the street to try these Glam Doll Donuts I've heard so much about, maybe even stop by the pizza place at Uptown to see the hot waitress, a girl I've known a long time when she was a stripper.  But then I realized another thing: I have forgotten the invoices.  Jesus Fucking Christ On A Cracker, I forgot the fucking invoices!!!  So instead of being around town to swing by to Eat Street before being finished driving in time to see Game 7 of the NBA Finals (hell of a game, by the way), I had to drive all the way the fuck back home to get the invoices.

When I opened the front door (without turning off my car, in a signal to myself to get moving), I passed by said invoices -- which I had lain on the stairs so I could just bend down and pick them up after my phone call and bolt out the door.  How stupid of me: I planned this out so I would go downstairs to check on my parents' computer (I was giving my laptop a rest) and make this call, then just pick up the invoices and leave.  Except that I totally forgot and totally blew past the invoices on my way out.  I then had a second chance to pick up said invoices -- still on the steps!!! -- but went all the way up those steps to get my sunglasses, and blew past them a second fucking time.  What a goddamn waste.  I hate being me.

Compounding all of this was that I took the wrong way to the restaurant.  I had written down directions from the U. to this restaurant, but obviously those instructions, which I wrote in my day planner, fucking alongside the invoices.  So the directions were no longer good and I had to rely on memory.  Well fuck my memory, it's always bad, especially when it comes to directions, because I decided I needed to take 35W when I should have taken 94.  I thought I had to take the long way, and I unduly punished myself.  So for the next, oh, 30-45 minutes I was taking side streets and punishing my car in stop-and-go afternoon traffic to try and figure out where I needed to go.  I thought I was way east of where I needed to be, but the street this restaurant is on dead-ends at a KMart going north.  So I was shit out of luck and just wandering around till I finally figured out that I was far too south as well, and that this place is on the same-named street, but north of the KMart, so what I had to do was get around the Kmart to continue on this street.

So I finally did reach my destination and shook down the restauranteurs for money -- well, they paid one outstanding loan but did not give back any money for the other, which Mother thought she would at least partially repay.  Whatever; I had little time left to get back home to watch the game (pizza was out), but Glam Doll Donuts was at least on the way and two blocks north, and so did I have the time to stop and pick up three donuts to see what the fuss was all about.  Their big draw is that all their donuts are gluten-free ... and that's why all of them tasted kind of funny.  Not a fan, especially since those three donuts plus milk and tip came to ten bucks.

But I did get home in time to see the entire game.  at least it's over.  Well, the memory of my failings remain, but what actually, physically happened is over. Because I got a job to start this bad day!  Although it'll be over very soon. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment