Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Weekly Minnesota Sports Survey

#-1: Lynx (Last Week: -1).  Well, their 28-point ass-kicking at Los Angeles Friday shows The New Reality for the Jynx: They won't be able to roll over opponents like they did the previous two years.  While the club decided to keep the nucleus intact, other teams in the West got better, which means there will be nights where they just flat-out lose.  Fortunately they sandwich this loss inbetween victories in Phoenix Wednesday and home against Tulsa Sunday.  The win over The Bastard Detroit Shock was a good barometer of how this veteran squad bounces back.  Maya Moore has become increasingly vocal, and it was her drive over the embarrassment of the defeat at the hands of the Sparks that helped the Lynx respond with a nine-point win.

Leaders in the Western Conference, they host a rematch with L.A. Friday.

#-2: Twins (Last Week: -2).  Yeah, I wish I was able to tuck this WMNSS before I fell asleep early this morning.  But for the last two days my laptop has been on the fritz.  I could turn it on, but I couldn't connect with the modem downstairs.  I tried my tablet but it too couldn't find the wireless connection, so I just assumed the modem wasn't working.  Well, maybe it was the rainy weather we've had lately, but tonight I tried my computer again and now there is no problem.

Too bad it came too late; now I have to include the Twinks' 4-2 loss in Miami that just completed.  I thought the Marlins were going to be the worst team in the National League after Owner Jeffrey Loria sold off all their best veteran players.  They beat the Twins?  Actually, on second thought that may not be such a far-fetched idea.

The loss to Miami aside, I think I'm getting a clear picture as to where this franchise stands in the Major League Baseball hierarchy.  Midweek they swept the White Sox, the last-place team in the American League Central at home, but then went to A.L. Central second-place team Cleveland and lost two out of three.  So that's how good they are -- right smack dab in the middle of the division.

The big news coming out of Twins Territory is the long-awaited call-up of Pitcher and Latest Savior Kyle Gibson.  After weeks of speculation, a back strain to Mike Pelfrey finally opened up a spot in the big league roster for Gibson, who will make his major league debut Saturday at home vs. Kansas City.  And you just know that in front of Target Field, against a young and mediocre ballclub like the Royals, there's a very good chance Gibson goes, 7 2/3 innings and strikes out 11 batters.  Maybe I should pick him up on my fantasy roster for a spot start.  Sandwiched inbetween this four-game series with K.C. is the second and final game against the Marlins early tomorrow afternoon and the first of four games against those goddamn New York Yankees Monday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment