Monday, August 26, 2013

My First Day Working At The Fair

Not bad.  I was afraid that I would be interacting with people, and unfortunately I am.  I say unfortunate because I am there, visible to customers who ask questions or want to order something, but I can't do anything because I don't think I'm allowed to touch the drinks.  So of course I get puzzled, if not miffed, looks from some of the people who think I should help them -- which I kind of should.  But I can't.

That unfortunate byproduct of my job (at least the way I see it as of right now) is that there is a chance I'll see somebody while working.  And, let's be honest, this work is beneath me.  So if they do see me ... well, it all depends on who sees me.  For example, I dropped by My Favorite Stripclub (Non-Cover Edition) and one of the strippers there, an adopted Korean with big fake tits, said she'll probably hit the Fair Tuesday, which is a day I'll be working.  I definitely would not mind seeing her.  But what if it's, say, a guy from high school?  I would not be prepared at all what to say.  Or what if it's my cousin, or my brother and sister-in-law?  I would be mortified.  And even though they have sworn off the Fair for decades now, if somehow my parents decided to go to the Fair for some old shits and giggles and see me ... well, I think I'd drop dead right then and there.

On the positive side, I saw no one I didn't want to see tonight.  Plus the people I work with are pretty good.  Also, my job is pretty simple: Give change and clear the cash registers of money if need be, and take them to my manager for safekeeping.  The obscenely hot and humid weather discouraged people from drinking wine, although as the sun fell more people started taking a chance on our raspberry wine smoothies.  But I'm led to believe that tonight was a slow day, so there wasn't a whole lot of trouble I could have gotten myself into.  Plus I got to leave after four hours.  Usually I want to stay as long as possible, but cutting and running after four hours exposing myself in public was about enough.  Plus, I had plenty of time to catch a shuttle to my car in a park-and-ride.  And, the ragweed allergies I had kept at bay most of my night started to clog my sinuses.  Finally, my feet were starting to kill me.

Now let us see what happens the second day.  I worked on the wine side tonight; tomorrow (well, actually today -- um, Monday) I might be at the beer side.  I think I have more friends that like beer than wine.  Also, I could screw something up.  It's never the first day that's the worst for me; it's the second, because I am so wound up worrying about screwing up so bad I get fired, so the next day I come in all relaxed that I wasn't that I overlook something.  And finally, of course, I could run into somebody I know.  Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment