Friday, August 9, 2013

Mafia Wars New Country Depositing Fake Money Fail

I still play Mafia Wars on facebook.  None of that Candy Crush Saga shit for me.  People I thought were above playing games I think are playing Candy Crush Saga.  If they're doing that, let me play Mafia Wars.  I've been with them a long time, and like my car, it's going to take a hell of a lot for me to give it up.

If you're not familiar with Mafia Wars, don't worry, I'm not going to explain the rules.  I'll just say that one of the functions of the game is to deposit money.  Also, there are several "theaters of battle."  The newest one opened up yesterday (Thursday), South Africa.  And as a welcoming gift, they gave me 150 and to start off my gang activity.

Depositing money is not a task; you just hit a button and you deposit it, minus a percentage fee (15% in South Africa, which surprised me, and 10% everywhere else).  I did not immediately deposit it, however.  Why not?  I was not going to do any other tasks that would make me more rand so I could deposit all of it and incur the fee only once.  See, this is my OCD: I decided not to start a task in South Africa until my Energy was completely filled up.

This is what happened.  I played Mafia Wars overnight last night, and I nearly always make sure I use up all my Energy before I leave the game, which I did last night.  It takes five minutes to get one unit of Energy back, so when I saw this new country open up yesterday morning or afternoon, my Energy bar was only halfway full.  Therefore, I made a rule for myself that I was going to take the money my Properties have generated (long story) and just keep them without depositing.  Now, I usually have this rule of not playing until my Energy's 100%, and in fact up until recently I didn't even collect my earnings from my Properties until such time (I realized that was unwise because these Properties are, for lack of a better term, full; they cannot make more money until I take the money they've already generated out).  That went out the window the past couple weeks or so because another "theater of battle," Las Vegas, was about to be removed from the game, and they were speeding up the completion rate of tasks there five-fold (don't ask), so I couldn't really wait until my Energy bar was full in order to do that.  However, I realized my mindset was still stuck on that yesterday morning or afternoon, and I was determined to revert back to my old OCD rule.  I exerted self-control.  I took the rand, collected my Property money, left it all in my "possession" undeposited, then went back into facebook.

And I totally regret it now, because I checked in a few hours ago, when I knew my Energy was back to full, and I saw that someone robbed me ("robbing" is part of the game) and got away with a lot of my rand.  I didn't think it was going to happen, but seeing it happen made me realize that I have no idea what could happen if I don't deposit money that I took out of my Properties.  I've probably been robbed for many millions of dollars, pounds and reals (that's Brazil, another country you can "operate" in) and I just didn't notice because the money from my Properties are astronomical.  However, I can remember 150 rand, and I knew that what I currently had was much less than that.  (To be anal, I didn't just know that because I had less than 150 rand; I knew that because at the bottom of my screen it tells you of all the things other players in Mafia Wars have done to you, and one of the last actions was a guy robbing me of most of my rand.)

So now I feel bad.  It's goes beyond feeling "robbed," although I will admit I kind of do feel robbed.  And it's not just about feeling stupid about not taking the chance to do the simple task of depositing money.  How can I put this ... seeing South Africa for the first time I was given a gift of money, and I disrespected the game, and my virgin experience with South Africa on Mafia Wars, by not taking care of it, and instead allowing it to be stolen away.  That's what's most bothersome.  Do you know what I mean?

I don't even remember how much I had left -- 30, maybe 20 rand.  So all I could do was do some of the tasks and deposit the money once I was done.  Oh, there is also the possibility of Attacking or putting a bounty on his head for some other player to execute a hit on him.  But when I tried to do that I was told that this asshole's Health was too low for me to extract revenge on.  Well, fuck.

Guess I should have better things to worry about, but I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment