Saturday, August 31, 2013

Had An "Oh, Shit" Moment At My Interview Today (ETA: To Clarify, It Was Friday, Because There Is No Such Thing As Interviewing For A Job On The Weekend)

I thought it went well.  My interviewer shared some things, and I shared some things, and I thought we were both engaged.  Maybe I paused a few too many times, especially when I tried to ask her about what happens if mistakes are made, but all in all, I didn't get laughed out of the conference room.  Then again, I felt even better after the last interview I had, and I got flat-out rejected.

And I probably will lose out on this job, too.  I kind of feel weird about this position, although she was nice and the corporation I'd be working for (at least through the end of the year) seems stand-up and not full of corrupt bullshit.  I did get lost, however, getting to here from downtown St. Paul because I had to start from the impound lot in downtown Minneapolis (will talk about this later) and stop by the temp agency in St. Paul to drop off a State Fair ticket because I got cut from a day.  If I do get this job I'll obviously know how to get here, but today's "commute" was an indication of how far I'd have to drive to work.  The pay would be worth it, but the hassle of traffic might frustrate me after a while.

Worse yet was that, somehow, another applicant was scheduled to interview the exact same time as I.  I don't know if I was wrong or if he was or if either the temp agency or the company screwed up along the way.  I just know that since I got there first I was interviewed first, although by the time I got done he was gone, so my guess is that someone else interviewed him at around the same time.  But the worst part of all of this is that this guy whom I'm competing with for this job was dressed in a suit.  I thought that would be a little too dressy given the data entry work we'd be doing, plus it was going to be hot, so I opted for a white polo t-shirt and dark khakis.  Once I saw this sharp-dressed man and realized he was my competition, I kind of think I'm screwed.

I get to give this position until Tuesday.  I've been led to believe that I have till end of day Tuesday to go back to the flu biller job, which has asked me back.

No comments:

Post a Comment