Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Racist (?) Guy At Work

OK, so there's this guy.  He's not at the registers, he mostly does the food, so I haven't interacted with him before.  In fact, I don't think I've ever seen this guy before last night.

So first he's cool.  A customer comes up to me to ask something and I don't know the answer to.  I'm wearing the same shirt as the people who can answer the man's question, so of course he assumes that I can answer it too, but I can't, and it's happened several times, and I feel stupid every single time.  But at least this guy was there, doing something else, who did answer his question.  I thanked him, I told him stupid I felt not being able to help and being generally useless.

But then, a little later, while I was just standing there and he was walking by me, he gave me the karate chop hands and said, "Hi-ya!"  You know, like kung fu.  Because I'm Asian, get it?  He did it again a little later, but he probably looked at my non-smiling face and said, "Just kidding!"  And then, while I was outside looking at the threatening skies, he passed by me and said something about the rain, either to me or to himself, I'm not quite sure.  Then, he did the karate chop hands and said "Hi-ya!" again.  Finally, he looked at me, slowly gave me one karate chop, saw me kind of smile, and said "Just kidding."  And then I had to go across the street, and when I came back, I didn't see him.  Probably was done with work.

No, I don't want to be a fuddy-duddy when it comes to shit like that.  Is it racist?  No.  But it's ... not not racist either, you know?  I mean, who gives a Chinese guy karate chop hands and says "Hi-ya!" these days?  I haven't had anything like that in at least a decade, maybe two.  Does this guy get that?  The first time he did it I was stunned and had to say to myself, "OK, that's gonna take time for me to digest."  And I still haven't digested it.

You know, maybe he doesn't mean it, maybe he doesn't quite understand.  But really, I hope he's not there, or I'm not working there tonight.  And now I'll have to be glad this is my last night working the Fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment