Monday, September 30, 2013

Missed Deadline?

Now that my panic over reaching daily production goals has passed -- I don't know if it was a phantom goal that was supposed to spur me into working hard, but I'm sure I have fallen far short the past several days and my heart's not beating out of my chest -- I'm starting to feel a nice warm glow when going to work.  Even if I have to get up at the buttcrack of dawn, face still-hot lunchtime naps in the car and worry about how I'm going to sleep when I need to when it starts to get cold outside, I'm very, very happy with work.  The people I work with are great.  My boss, whom I once was afraid didn't "get" me again, is cool now, especially since he laid off the goals talk.  I like the other billers, and all the other people who work in the building are nice.  And the work is manageable and not too over my head.  For a weekly paycheck that'll help me shore up my reserves and maybe get me some sex play in the process, I love my job!

But one thing scares me.  For the past week-plus I've been asked to concentrate on a series of packets for a company whose contract we just won.  We (well, my boss's bosses) felt the pressure of getting this done sooner than I anticipated.  The deadline for completing it all, which I initially wanted for Wednesday, was today.  And unfortunately we are not done; there is still outstanding information about a few people, which prevents us from finally entering information for all the packets, putting them into a report and billing them properly.

I don't know if I could have pushed the issue.  Getting this information goes to people besides my supervisor, and they in turn have to get that info by calling other folks.  Moreover, my boss was busy training new people, so I didn't really have the authority to interrupt his teaching and say, "Hey, what's going on with the packets?"  So it looks like he isn't really sweating it, although he did allow that the company is screwed.  Whatever his boss thinks, I don't know.  I just assume, really assume, that neither my boss nor me won't catch hell over this.

No comments:

Post a Comment