Monday, September 16, 2013

300, Therefore I Believe I Get To Keep My Job

Well, I did get my wish on a single big packet to work on.  Unfortunately it was a new contract they won, so all the people whose claims I looked through were all new, therefore I had to input every single piece of information in -- name, date of birth, address. ...

I didn't think I made it.  However, there was an added wrinkle to this daily goal.  My computer has been kind of slow.  Moreover, one of the programs we use is also very slow.  I had complained to my supervisor about this while checking on how many claims I had done and then waiting for it to load for about an hour.  He apologized and then told me to keep track of how long it takes to load; he said he would figure that into this calculations on how many papers we had done.

At that point I kind of relaxed.  In fact my martyrdom kicked in.  If I was going to be fired for not reaching 300, at least I could leave knowing that it wasn't my fault, it was the computer's!  I did go through on my plan of not taking lunch, but instead I waited for this program to fully run, so I didn't do anything that half-hour anyway.  Once it booted up I just shut that down, put my nose down and worked.

Well, I'll be: After packing up for the day, I just had to look.  I spent a couple minutes waiting for that program to come up again ... and I reached 300.  I let my boss know that I overcame such great obstacles in order to reach that goal.

So ... I guess I'm OK now?  I certainly acted like I had a job in the bag today, kind of like I did the middle of last week before I sort of lost my shit.  Oh, I worked hard.  But did I work to the point where I got 300?  Even with a couple very easy packets near the end of my day, probably not.  Logic says I should be worried.  However, I have not received a phone call from my temp agency, so I think that means I get to go back to work, at least for another day.

But I wonder if any single move, along with me not reaching 300 on a regular basis, could convince my supervisor to change his mind.  For example, it was getting to be the end of the workday and I thought I was packing up alongside the rest of my co-workers.  But as I was headed out the door I saw the other three remain at their seats -- presumably to clean up and head out, but usually I'm the one who leaves last.  Then I looked at my watch.  There was a minute left before I could go.  I was depending on the clock in my computer, however, which apparently is a minute fast.  Now, is it possible my boss thinks I'm being a dick, checks my stats and figures that I'm just a slacker?  Not going to say no.  Let's just hope I get to continue to work, OK?  I have sexually active plans I need the money for.

No comments:

Post a Comment