Thursday, September 5, 2013

Fantasy Football Auction Fail

I was afraid this was going to happen.  Like I usually do, I conduct my drafts (which have been auctions the past several years) somewhere outside my house, usually a coffeehouse.  It's a combination of not being distracted by my parents, taking this occasion as a reason to go out and enjoy myself, and not completely trusting our in-house modem.  There was a time when I tried doing a draft from home while it was bugging out, and it frustrated me to the point where I darted out of the house to go to, I think, the library in order to get it done.  If I had not endeavored to do my drafts outside before that unfortunate incident, I would have done so because of that fuck-up.

Tonight I had both of my auctions.  I'm the commissioner of both, and I believe it's best to conduct these as close to the beginning of the NFL season as possible to minimize the surprise of injuries and maximize the use of pertinent information, notably who is seen as the starting Running Back or Tight End.  And call me crazy, but not only did I hold the auctions of both my leagues on the same night, but I did them at the same time.  Why?  Well, it is hard to carve out time to do two leagues when one of them can last as long as three hours.  But, like I said, I am kind of crazy.  Shit, I did it last year, but with overlapping, not concurrent, times, and ... well, it was out-and-out chaos, but it didn't imprint a memory bad enough that I swore not to do it again, obviously.

I was able to handle both ... until something I was afraid would happen did happen: The Internet at the coffeeshop I was at (I've said the name's place many times because it's my favorite coffeehouse, and it sill is, and that's why I won't name it in this blog post at least) starting going on the fritz, and then it was so bad it got knocked out altogether.  Like my house this coffeeshop's modem hasn't been totally reliable; from time to time it's just been knocked out to the point where I just could not go online all night.  But also like home, the coffee place has been pretty good.  Aware of what could happen, I rolled the dice.  And I crapped the shit out.

At one point the guy who owns the place took the modem; the girl at the counter said she had no idea when or even if Internet would be back up.  Couldn't leave to go back home because I estimated that by the time I got back (which would take longer than usual because of all the fucking closed exits close to my house) the auctions probably would be over.  So I bade my time in the hopes that the guy came back with either a fixed or a new modem.

And he did.  It took less than an hour, in which I spent working on my sports article ... about how I thought my fantasy football auctions went.  Unfortunately by the time I got back into my auctions, my small, free one, the one that has only four teams total, was done, and the big, gambling one, which was twelve teams strong, had gone through 42 picks, and the computer, taking over the reins while I was off, arranged for me to take a guy I would never have taken for $36.  Partly because of that, I could only spend a dollar for most of the rest of my roster.  My small, free roster is good, but my big, gambling one is one I do not like.  So I am using the waiver wire hard.

All because the fucking modem decided to go haywire.  Maybe I should have stayed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment