Friday, August 30, 2013

Fucking Got My Fucking Car Towed

Got it towed while downtown watching the USC game.  Had no fucking idea that across the street turns into a taxi stand starting at 11.  On Thursdays.  From my seat, I could look over at my car through the window.  But I was buried in my computer, watching the game and remembering what information I needed to tell the group at halftime.  Why should I be worried?  It's 11 on a Thursday.

Yeah, I see the fucking sign, OK?  But I saw a lot of cars getting towed, not just here but everywhere, and that makes me believe the goddamn city sprung some new rules on the citizenry tonight, just as everybody was out on an extremely busy night because the Twins, Gopher football team and Vikings were all playing at home.  I did not think that the city would be so fucking predatory.  But I guess they are.

And yet, yeah, I see the fucking sign, OK?  I just got ... overwhelmed by a bunch of things.  First of all, I'm the president of the club, and so I should be there when the game begins.  I know that, but I got late.  I had to move my parents' car off our driveway and onto the street because they're repaving it, and I had to spend ten minutes to make sure I was close enough to the fire hydrant without being too close to it.  Then as I drove I met into massive traffic along 694.  I knew construction made it bad, but for some goddamn reason it was at a morning/afternoon-rush standstill.  So I had to take a side street, which took a long time.  I got there without about 15, 10 minutes to spare -- guess it was enough, but I had to put up the stuff, introduce myself, make sure the bar was going to show the game, etc.  Hey, I'm the president, I can't just move my car.  And why would I?  It's 10 o'clock -- I can park there, right?

Well, of course not.  Because I'm me, and I have bad luck.  Tonight I really feel like the world's out to get me.  I'm just getting fucked up the ass.  The cost to get my car back may, may, be under $200, but looking through the website I'm now not sure.  Have to take my breath and say a blessed thanks to my friend who not only took me home but volunteered to front me some money.  Because I.  Cannot.  Afford.  To.  Pay.  This.  I'm trying to save my money as best I can, but first the hood flies into my face and now I get my car towed.  See what I mean when I think the world's out to get me?

And now I have to fall into the k-hole that is the impound lot.  Never been there, and I don't know if my parents have done it.  I don't know if I have all the documents I need to get my car.  And of course I've heard the horror stories about their cruel, insulting customer service (as well as the return expletives from the angry folks losing an arm and a leg getting their cars back).  I might not get it back.

And that really sucks because, oh yeah, that Cryptic Lie I was talking about previous blog post?  It fell through; the interviewer didn't get back to my contact about rescheduling, so I had to keep the interview and drop the paid gig, which was being an extra in a movie.  (Ironically, now that my car has been towed, I wouldn't have been able to make that gig's 7 o'clock call time.  Is that a sign?)  But even though the interview's at 10, I have no idea whether I can even make it.  I could be in that fucking place for hours.  And what happens if I don't have everything I need to get my car?

I.  Don't.  Have.  The.  Money.  I keep trying, and trying, and goddammit, something fucking happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment