Monday, August 19, 2013

Addendum To: And Now My Laptop's Gone To Shit

Well, I'm back blogging on my laptop ... for now.

I don't exactly know what I did.  Since the power button thing no longer worked, I searched on the Internet for another solution.  That's when I learned about immediately tapping the F8 button and trying to reset the settings of the laptop to the last time it worked.  I did that but I still didn't see anything.  However, the disc indicator light on my computer was flickering on and I could hear my lap whirring.  This adds more credence to what I think is problem with my laptop: The video portion of my motherboard is on the fritz.  I think it boots up just fine; I just can't see it.

That was my thinking when the whirring and flickering died down.  I assumed that the computer was on the list of things the website I went to said would appear after I hit the F8 button.  I turned off the tablet while I did this, however, so I did not know what their recommended option, the reversion to a former state, was down the list.  So I absentmindedly hit down eight times.

When I hit Enter after the eighth time, the disc light started up and the lap started making noise.  I used my downtime to turn on my tablet and look up that fix; whoops, I should have done that only five times.  I still got that Black Screen Of Death (which, according to the site I went to to find a solution to this problem, is actually acronymized KSOD; guessing people are attracted to the "K," kind of like why strikeouts in baseball are noted in scorecards with a "K" and not an "S") but the computer activity died down.  So, armed with the right number of times I should hit down, I turned off the computer, took out the battery and hit the power button again (just in case), put the battery back in and turned it back on, this time hammering away at the F8 button like I was doing the 100-meter dash on Track & Field.

But a funny thing happened: It turned on.  Then it went to the screen I wanted, so I could see all my options.  I scrolled down to the "last settings" entry and hit enter.  I walked out of the room because I thought it would take a while, but when I came back (it must've been a couple minutes) I got the Enter Password screen.  And it's been running as well and fast (and that's relatively speaking) as it did before.  Hopefully it's as good as it ever has been, and I won't have to bring it in.

To celebrate, I'm going to jerk off to VEF.  Haven't been on that in a long time.  How long has it been ...  (logging in) ... August 4 at 3:30 in the morning?!  Eighty-nine minutes short of 15 days?!?!?!  I haven't even been working to not be on VEF in so long!!  Gotta go -- have to make up for it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment