Monday, March 21, 2016

Geez, They Make Cars Really Efficient These Days

I am trying to make it to Tuesday, aka Double Discount Tuesday, before I completely fill up the tank in my car.  But to do that, I sometimes (well, this happens on occasion -- don't want to say it's rare, but I like to think it isn't uncommon) spill a few bucks in there to tide me over till Tuesday.

Depending on the car, whether it's my old car or my parents' minivan, I might throw in five bucks, I might throw in ten.  But I haven't had to do that for my new car since the fall, so I don't remember.  What I do know is that 1) it's a very small tank and 2) it's a very efficient car.  Also, I really don't want to dish out so much money that my tank becomes half-full by tomorrow.  If that's the case, that's less gasoline I'm getting at a discount.

So, what to do?  Last (Sunday) night I needed to put some in, and I decided to risk it.  I decided to put in four dollars, which, at the current price of $2/gallon, is two gallons.  I wanted to see if I was being too meager or if, actually, I was putting in too much.  To gauge that, I noted that my tank was at three bars.

Once I restarted my car ... well, it wasn't close to half-full, but it was more than quarter-full.  It was eight bars.  Wow -- two gallons, five bars.  That's ... a lot.

Now I want to see how many bars I use before filling it all the way up tomorrow (Tuesday).  I'm now down to six, which means I've already used two.  Guess I had to have filled up.  But could I have gotten away with only putting in one gallon, and paying in two dollars?

Technology is really advanced these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment