Thursday, March 31, 2016

Two Bad Breaks ... That Might Not Be?

OK, so there were two shitty things that happened to me.  Sort of.

---

First, while I was driving home I started to contemplate what I was going to do at work Saturday because we were told we could come in to work then.  I remembered that I had stored a can of Kickstarter, which I got while leaving the National Collegiate Hockey Conference Frozen Faceoff semifinals.  I could drink that for lunch to keep me going through the rest of the day.  But then it dawned on me: Wait a second ... I don't remember seeing a can of Kickstarter in my bag of coffee creamer!  It's been stolen!!!

I know that people steal food out of the refrigerators from time to time.  I remember reading a note once from someone sarcastically hoping that the guy who took his sandwich enjoyed it.  I never thought it would happen to me.  Well, when I put in the Kickstarter with my bag of creamer I never was afraid that someone would take it.  But I left my bag open, so when you open the fridge door you can see it, and some asshole just said, "Well, no camera, fuck it!"

I'm pissed.  I really am.  But then I had to control myself because I thought of two things.  One, I got that Kickstarter for free, so it's not the worst thing in the world to get stolen.  And two, I don't remember seeing that can for the past several days.  If it took me a while to notice that it was missing, how important was that to me?  It still sucks, and there's a person who works in the same building who, if I ever find him or her I should claw my nails against his or her face.  But geez, I can't really care that much.

Nevertheless, this might be a sign that it's best for me to go.

---

But maybe I shouldn't.  Which leads me to bad break #2.

So I told you that I have lined up another test scoring job because I disagree with what went done on the one I'm currently on, right?  Well, that place has two different locations.  One is far, and one is really far.  I have been to both, and the commute (especially the one coming back) is absolute torture.  But I still considered it a good break that the first project, the one my former supervisor over the phone said should be the first of several, is going to be the closer city.

But I got this e-mail in the evening which said this first project was going to be allllllllll the way on the other side of town, the one where it will take at least an hour to get to and has taken about 90 minutes to get back from.  (Also, it's scheduled to run six weeks, which, in my estimation, means that I have a guarantee of only three weeks, which is between six and nine weeks shorter than the project I'm currently on.)  I swear to God that the guy on the phone, my supervisor, told me it would be in the closer city.  But this might be a case where he just fuckin' mumbled an important piece of information again, just like late last summer where a two-week project was done in two days.  Goddamn, I'm back to hating him now.

And I'm getting all worked up about the stress of moving through the traffic I'll have to face, and the mathematical calculations to make sure the difference in pay between these two gigs won't be eaten up by the added length of time it takes me to drive there in a couple weeks compared to where I'm driving right now.  (It's still enough, but only by $30 a week, and even then I don't know if it's worth it to face a shitty commute.)  But then I remembered ... I told myself I need to leave this job.  Like, right now.  Any job would be better than this one because of my fundamental disagreement with people suddenly getting promoted in the middle of the project.  So does it really matter that I might have to drive a goddamn hour to this new project?

Well, the answer right now is no.  If you ask me that question the evening of, like, the second week of this project when I get stuck in the third bottleneck of my drive, I might say yes.  (sigh) Ah, well, I kind of asked for a change, and a change is what I got.

---

This has been a day where it suddenly turned bad, and then I realize that, well, I really can't be as bothered by it as I initially was.  So it's a bad day turned into a semi-bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment